What's new

iPhone Emoticons

KJKim

Reaction score
Hi. I've been using the iPhone 3GS for about 2 years now, and recently bought the new iPhone 4S. I remember when I texted with the 3GS that when I wrote an emoticon such as ":)" or ":(" or ":eek:" and etc. the phone would automatically make it into an emoticon with actual faces. It does not do that anymore for my iPhone 4S. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

KJKim said:
Hi. I've been using the iPhone 3GS for about 2 years now, and recently bought the new iPhone 4S. I remember when I texted with the 3GS that when I wrote an emoticon such as ":)" or ":(" or ":eek:" and etc. the phone would automatically make it into an emoticon with actual faces. It does not do that anymore for my iPhone 4S. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Settings>general>keyboard

The forum actually made them into emoticons. I meant when I type colon and parenthesis, it used to automatically make it into an emoticon. Like : and ) would automatically be a smiley face. I didn't need to change my keyboard to emoji in order to get an emoticon.

KJKim said:
The forum actually made them into emoticons. I meant when I type colon and parenthesis, it used to automatically make it into an emoticon. Like : and ) would automatically be a smiley face. I didn't need to change my keyboard to emoji in order to get an emoticon.

Oh. I wouldn't know then.

I have Emoji Free on my 3gs that was running OS4, and now has OS5 with no problems. It has a lot of neat emoticons on it, most of which I have no idea what they mean!!! lol

I have Emoji Free on my 3gs that was running OS4, and now has OS5 with no problems. It has a lot of neat emoticons on it, most of which I have no idea what they mean!!! lol

my problem isn't about getting emoticons from the emoji keyboard. my iPhone 3GS used to automatically make ":" and ")" together into :)'s and etc. it made the emoticons for me automatically. it doesn't do that anymore for some reason and i wanna find out how i can fix it.

i wanna put resetting my iPhone as a last resort :\

just came across this thread....if you haven't figured it out yet, here is a walk through.....

Settings...> General....> Keyboard....> International Keyboards...> Add New Keyboard....> Emoji ------ this will activate the emoticons

Now go to an iMessage....bottom left, click the globe....now you have a bunch of emoticons to choose from!! :)
when you want to return to the regular keyboard click the globe again.

Hope I helped! :-D

-Marisa

just came across this thread....if you haven't figured it out yet, here is a walk through.....

Settings...> General....> Keyboard....> International Keyboards...> Add New Keyboard....> Emoji ------ this will activate the emoticons

Now go to an iMessage....bottom left, click the globe....now you have a bunch of emoticons to choose from!! :)
when you want to return to the regular keyboard click the globe again.

Hope I helped! :-D

-Marisa

I was actually wondering the same thing and yup it worked lol thank you

I think the real question here is, does anyone else have the same problem with turning :) into 😊 without emoji. It's clear she already has emoji.