What's new

iPhone discarding downloaded iCloud items

SlouchingToast

Reaction score
I don't know if this is an issue or a feature, but maybe y'all can help me navigate how best to go about doing what I need to do.

I keep my data usage to a minimum, but I also use iCloud to keep things in-sync once I'm back on WiFi. However, often times I find that my phone has offloaded the item I'm trying to access. These are things I access almost daily.

Namely, I'm trying to use Numbers, Books, Google Maps. What's happening, is that Numbers Sheets, Books PDF files, and Google Maps offline maps will all get offloaded and require downloading again, if I'm not using them every day. Currently, I'm using these items every other day or so on my phone.

Thoughts?

Can't edit the OP. Says it contacts spam...

I have plenty of storage available. iPhone SE with iOS 12.3.1.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!
In Settings - your name - iTunes & App Stores, make sure “Offload Unused Apps” is disabled.

I think I misunderstood your post. You’re trying to use the files in those apps offline.

In that case, you’d have to save them to your iPhone (locally) in order to use them offline as well. When you edit a file, you’d have to save it to Files, so that it syncs between your Apple devices as soon as they are connected to Wi-Fi.

This should help:
Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

I think I misunderstood your post. You’re trying to use the files in those apps offline.

In that case, you’d have to save them to your iPhone (locally) in order to use them offline as well. When you edit a file, you’d have to save it to Files, so that it syncs between your Apple devices as soon as they are connected to Wi-Fi.

This should help:
Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

Thanks! I've gone ahead and followed those steps. Here's to hoping it works!