What's new

IPhone beeps and cable connection lost

ralphdn

Reaction score
When my power cord is moved while plugged into my iPhone 5s, it often loses connection and charging stops and the green loading symbol turns white-on-black, usually going back to green and beeping when connection comes back on. This also occurs when using a new cable, and also when loading from the USB socket on my PC as well as using an adapter in a (German) wall plug; elimination would indicate that it's the plug on my iPhone 5s.

Is the plug on my iPhone faulty, or the cable broken internally, or what is causing this?

Last edited:
Since you say it also happens with a new cable and USB socket on computer, my guess would be yeah, plug on phone is going out. I've never had it happen, but it has happened to an old phone of my brothers, and it eventually stopped working altogether. My brother uses his phone a lot though, much more than the average person.

Since the phone is so old at this point, it's likely just all the compressed dirt, dust and debris that gets trapped in the connector, every time you plug and unplug that lightning port. I'd spend some time with a toothpick and compressed air cleaning it out, but take your time as breaking off the tip of the toothpick in there, would be immediate disaster.

I bet after a good solid cleaning, your cables, new and old will work flawlessly again. Oh an by the way, just looking into the port, you won't be able to "see" said dirt, but it's there. That's likely what's not allowing your cable to get a clean connection and the slight jolt shakes it enough to think it's no longer connected.

Since the phone is so old at this point, it's likely just all the compressed dirt, dust and debris that gets trapped in the connector, every time you plug and unplug that lightning port. I'd spend some time with a toothpick and compressed air cleaning it out, but take your time as breaking off the tip of the toothpick in there, would be immediate disaster.

I bet after a good solid cleaning, your cables, new and old will work flawlessly again. Oh an by the way, just looking into the port, you won't be able to "see" said dirt, but it's there. That's likely what's not allowing your cable to get a clean connection and the slight jolt shakes it enough to think it's no longer connected.

Unfortunately, I don't have a compressed air generator at home, so all I can do is blow into it. And I would assume that anything blocking the
plug would result in its not plugging in and working properly... but I'll sure have a closer look, thanks!

You don't need a generator. You can pick up compressed air cans at the local hardware store or big box store.

You don't need a generator. You can pick up compressed air cans at the local hardware store or big box store.
You just have to make sure to always hold the can vertically so that only gas is discharged from the nozzle.

In the meantime I've found that my problem has to do with the plug in the iPhone; if I press the plugged in cable lightly to the right, even if it's a brand new cable, I lose the connection .. I'm off to the shop. Thanks to all for excellent tips and suggestions!

In the meantime I've found that my problem has to do with the plug in the iPhone; if I press the plugged in cable lightly to the right, even if it's a brand new cable, I lose the connection .. I'm off to the shop. Thanks to all for excellent tips and suggestions!

I had the same problem because not only did I need the connection for charging, I also was using for USB to phone for my internet connection. I now have an iPhone 8+ and charge via wireless charger. Since I can leave it on charge, I don’t have to tether to my PC for internet.