What's new

iphone battery replacement

kaitlin4599

Reaction score
hello i have a used iphone 3g and i want to have my step dad put in a new battery as well as a new charging port where can i buy these parts and where can i find install guides

hello i have a used iphone 3g and i want to have my step dad put in a new battery as well as a new charging port where can i buy these parts and where can i find install guides
If you want genuine Apple parts, the best place to get them is from ifixit. They also have full tutorials on how to repair any model of iPhone. Genuine Apple parts cost a little more but you can always be sure they'll work properly.

Here's their website. iFixit The free repair manual - iFixit

One thing to note is, the 3g phone is no longer supported by software updates.Neither is the 4 or 4s, but they are better than the 3g as far as repairing and what not. The 3g phone is not an easy repairable phones compared to ALL other iPhones. My point is, you may be better off to upgrade to a 4s as they have dropped in price dramatically and over-all are easier to work with than the 3g.

In addition, the 4S can run iOS 8.1.3, the latest iOS version, meaning you have access to far more apps than you would if you're using an iPhone 3G.

I didn't know you could change the battery. I have 4s that won't stay charged. Will check out iFixit. thanks

I didn't know you could change the battery. I have 4s that won't stay charged. Will check out iFixit. thanks

It can be changed, but it is not a user replaceable item. It's best to have a qualified technician do it either at your local Apple store, or at a reputable cell phone repair shop. Doing it yourself will void any warranty that may exist, plus there are delicate parts that can easily be damaged if not careful.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

We've had more than a few posts from members who've changed their own iPhone battery and the phone stopped working because some connector, cable or other component was accidentally damaged. I'll second rasmith's opinion in stating that unless you have significant repair experience you should leave battery replacement to qualified personnel.

It is the second easiest repair there is. The easiest is the back glass. Which in your case needs to come off to swap out the battery. And it is a cheap repair too.