What's new

Iphone apple pay

Jeebo

Reaction score
Hi all, new to your world.

I currently work with chip and pin machines and want to be able to use apple pay, though it's not at the moment a phone I can afford to run as my daily user, at the moment. I currently have an affordable and good deal contract on my Samsung, but even downgrading the options of the data, minutes and texts, along with a lower spec iPhone, it would still over double my monthly cost, a pill I'm not wanting to swallow yet!

I am looking to buy a cheap iPhone 6 that will work for Apple pay and have learned of some risks, such as network and I cloud locks. One question... If I just wanted to start with using the phone for Apple pay, how cheap could I pick up a use able phone and what costs would there be, such as if I needed to replace a screen that could be one hundred,.

Secondly, I saw on eBay an iPhone 5 converted to an iPhone 6, I presume this is a software hack they have done, in which case is it possible to upgrade a 4 or 5 to a 6 and use that with Apple pay?

Appreciate your help and guidance!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that there are no hardware or software hacks that will enable any iPhone older than an iPhone 6 to use Apple Pay. There is hardware in the iPhone 6 and newer iPhones that enables the use of Apple Pay. These hardware features cannot be added to older iPhones, despite what you may see on eBay or the Internet.

Many thanks for your reply. I must admit I thought that would likely be the case as I understand it uses a security chip and fingerprint scan to activate it... So the 6 is the only way to proceed, in which case, what is the realistic cheapest price I could buy one for? I presume icloud lock cannot be broken in any way, and I suspect apple pay won't work on jailbreak devices?

Many thanks for your reply. I must admit I thought that would likely be the case as I understand it uses a security chip and fingerprint scan to activate it... So the 6 is the only way to proceed, in which case, what is the realistic cheapest price I could buy one for? I presume icloud lock cannot be broken in any way, and I suspect apple pay won't work on jailbreak devices?

Apple Pay also requires the NFC radios built into the latest iPhones. There is no inherent reason why Apple Pay would not work on a jailbroken iPhone.
If you plan on buying a used iPhone, buy only from well established sellers and thoroughly check out the phone before handing over your money. Check out this thread before buying a second hand iPhone. Before buying a new/second hand device online | Apple iPhone Forum

Many thanks for the guidance. If it's going to cost hundreds as it appears to, I may have to await the arrival of Android pay at least until the apple pay devices come down!

Also jail-broken, Unlocked, and iCloud activation password are 3 separate things. A jail-broken iPhone lets you modify parts of the IOS. An unlocked iPhone can be used on more than one network. I am unaware of anyone successfully defeating the iCloud Activation lock although some claim to be able to, for a price. But they are lying.

Thanks bear, yeah I appreciate they differ, jailbreak I understand to be the equivalent of Android rooting, unlocked I appreciate can work on multiple networks but I recall reading something about ios 8 losing network signal? As for the icloud, yeah I heard it's almost undefeated. It's a good idea really but a shame for the genuine buyer looking for a project phone.

The only way , a simple one, to "defeat" the iCloud activation lock is for the account owner to do so. I don't think that's a bad thing. You just want to get the usage without the price. A struggle for most consumers. A used iPhone 6 is probably you best bet but if I was happy with my phone, I wouldn't switch it to get Apple Pay. I am sure Samsung Pay will be attractive to you too.

Yeah Samsung pay looks good but I'm on the s4 mini and the Samsung pay is on the s6 lol