What's new

iPhone 8 Plus Performs Poorly in Professional Drop Test

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone 8 Plus performs poorly in drop test.JPG

BGR has some concerning news today about Apple’s claims that the glass backs of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X are the strongest ever to be used on a smartphone. According to a drop test carried out on a professional machine by YouTuber PhoneBuff, this might be a rather over-ambitious claim by Apple, to say the least.

In the tests, PhoneBuff put an iPhone 8 Plus up against Samsung’s Galaxy Note 8, which also has a glass back. Both phones did not even manage to make it past the first test, a back-down drop test, before they smashed. BGR even goes so far as to say, “Apple’s claim regarding the glass backs is a lie and if you use your new iPhone without a case, you’re going to break it.”

With all the rigorous testing that Apple usually does, it really does seem strange that it would not have put the new iPhones through this most rudimentary of tests.

In contrast, a drop test featuring the Moto Z2 Force, shows that it certainly appears to have the strongest ever glass to be used on a smartphone.

Source: Drop test confirms Apple totally lied about the glass back on the iPhone 8

I wouldn't be surprised if the main purpose of this was to find a test that the iPhone 8 would quickly fail, providing ammunition to criticize the construction. The proper term for this type of video is a destruction video, not a drop test. The outcome is a foregone conclusion.

If you’re going to spend so much money on a piece of glass that is to be used on a daily basis, it would be foolish not to give it some form of protection.
Doesn’t matter if it’s an iPhone or a Galaxy in my opinion.

Lol, well I for one ALWAYS use a case with my $1000 mini phone/computer, now that might be because I pay for it, not my mommy or daddy...
Bit I see lots of kids use it “naked”

I see that as disrespect to their parents property, so for the most part if you put it in a decent case it will decrease the likelihood of dropping it because of the grip and if you do drop it it will most probably not get damaged at all

IMG_2783.JPG

That tiny chip was caused as l reached for my phone it slipped and fell about 12 inches, it has a screen protector on it. But because l use a add on battery a case won’t fit.

That was totally and completely down to me, nothing to do with Apple. I would never blame them for weak glass, just my weak fingers.

That both phones were able to work with such harm is a positive in my book..

This is true. My iPhone 7 Plus got ran over by a car. I was on motorcycle at about 55-60mph, and it flew out of the mount, hit my shoulder, which sent phone skyrocketing into space (not really, but it was really high), then came crashing down onto hard asphalt, and proceeded to get run over by a car. I go back, get my phone, sure it's dead and broken beyond repair. Phone is pretty bent, but not a scratch of crack on it and works perfectly. It had a case which protected it, but still, it got ran over by a car after falling a good 20-30ft and worked like nothing happened, and it's BENT! A lot lol.

This is true. My iPhone 7 Plus got ran over by a car. I was on motorcycle at about 55-60mph, and it flew out of the mount, hit my shoulder, which sent phone skyrocketing into space (not really, but it was really high), then came crashing down onto hard asphalt, and proceeded to get run over by a car. I go back, get my phone, sure it's dead and broken beyond repair. Phone is pretty bent, but not a scratch of crack on it and works perfectly. It had a case which protected it, but still, it got ran over by a car after falling a good 20-30ft and worked like nothing happened, and it's BENT! A lot lol.

Now that’s a true life test ...I love the build quality ...yes screens crack no doubt but these are good built phones ...

There's always someone ready to run down the new iPhone.....
I have had every model since 4s including s models and never had any of the issues "they" are so happy to report.
I’ve seen how hard these guys are forcing it in those so-called bend tests on YouTube. It’s not as easy to bend an iPhone as they’d like you to believe.

Maybe they will make a few videos with the same phones before destruction in cases. That just might be more informative.
Using the same test criteria as this rubbish naturally.

Maybe they will make a few videos with the same phones before destruction in cases. That just might be more informative.
Using the same test criteria as this rubbish naturally.
I find the survival videos much more interesting. They're usually made by the case manufacturer. The best one I saw was of an iPad that survived intact after a free fall of over 100,000 feet, protected only by the case. It was making a video as it fell, all the way to impact.