What's new

iPhone 7 plus on the way, what to do?

First a quick funny... Yesterday or the day before it quit making any sounds. Nothing, nada. I think I checked every setting a dozen times. All it would do is vibrate. I was ready to try a complete reset and then I happened to think of the little switch on the side... Yep, it got flipped. Flipping it back and all the sounds came back.

Is there a list in the app store of all the apps I have installed or have installed and deleted?

And I haven't figured out how to set tones for individual apps yet. That's driving me nuts. I really need to get that figured out. Having one sound for all my messaging apps is driving me insane!

If I get that sorted out I may try it as a phone instead of just a mini tablet this week. :D

I LOVE the mute switch. I still can't believe no Android phone has copied this.

Apps bottom right is a Download Arrow. Select it, then you'll see Purchased at the top and My Purchases. This is where you can see all of the installed apps and not installed apps.

Steve didn't want to give you too many sounds coming from your phone, so he only lets you edit the most common. Settings then Sounds & Heptics. As far as I know, this is the only place you can change notification sounds, but it's for every notification, not app specific.

Edit: Actually, there's a few more here then just notifications. I can change Tweeter and Facebook too.

Thanks.

Yea, I'm used to using different tones for every notification so I know who or what it is. Certain people have certain ways of contacting me so it's a bit of a difference.

At least another lets you select in the app itself. Just different than what I'm used to.

Wait wait... for people, you can assign different ringtones.

Contacts / Choose the Contact / Edit / Scroll down a bit and you'll see Ringtone Default and Text Tone Default. Change to the sound you want it to make.

For my wife, I use the Sex in the City theme song, she says she hates it, but I didn't do it during a phone switch out and she asked me how come I changed it ;)

First a quick funny... Yesterday or the day before it quit making any sounds. Nothing, nada. I think I checked every setting a dozen times. All it would do is vibrate. I was ready to try a complete reset and then I happened to think of the little switch on the side... Yep, it got flipped. Flipping it back and all the sounds came back.

:D
I think everyone has done that in the early days of having an iPhone.....Including me :)

I think the mute switch is one of the best features of iPhone, Taken for granted after a while but would be sadly missed if it went.

Wait wait... for people, you can assign different ringtones.

Contacts / Choose the Contact / Edit / Scroll down a bit and you'll see Ringtone Default and Text Tone Default. Change to the sound you want it to make.

For my wife, I use the Sex in the City theme song, she says she hates it, but I didn't do it during a phone switch out and she asked me how come I changed it ;)
Thanks! I didn't know it was possible to set a text tone for a specific person! That will definitely help. :)

It took me what felt like forever to think of that switch, LOL! I thought I had really screwed a setting up somewhere and couldn't figure it out. I was going to reset the phone pretty soon. Glad I found it! :D

I think everyone has done that in the early days of having an iPhone.....Including me :)

I think the mute switch is one of the best features of iPhone, Taken for granted after a while but would be sadly missed if it went.
They removed it from the iPad and I miss it everyday!

Thankfully they left it on the new iPhones.....There was an iPhone 7 rumour that they were removing it.
I think that a mute switch in some form will always be part of iPhone design. How else would you be able to silence your iPhone in situations where alerts and ringtones would be inappropriate.

I'm used to just turning the volume all the way down. That puts it on vibrate. Click volume down again, and it goes silent except for the alarm clock. But you have to at least wake the phone to do that.

Which brings up a quick question. If the switch is flipped to mute, is there a setting so important tones like the alarm clock aren't muted?