What's new

Iphone 7 home button issue

tumble220

Reaction score
Hi. Iphone 7 had cracked screen but still worked as it should. Decided to replace screen. It was just opened up but noticed a tri screwdriver was needed but didnt have one, so closed phone up again. Nothing was removed or damaged inside but now the home button does not work. I can set up fingerprint though. The screen cracked a little more when lifting it, but it still works. Could the screen be the cause of the button not working?. Any help or advice, would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance, Gary.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Gary!

The home button is attached to the display, and two cables are connected to the logic board. If the display is damaged, it can also happen that one of the cables or connectors is damaged as well.
It's also possible that you damaged one of the cables when you opened the iPhone.

The display has to be replaced, as well as the Home button, it seems. To be sure it’s a hardware problem, visit the next Apple Retail Store. Diagnostics are free.
There’s an important thing you’ll have to consider, if it’s a hardware problem: when the Home button gets replaced, Touch ID will not work any more, unless this is done by Apple.

same issue iphone 7 occured to my friend and then he went to nearest apple service center and they solve the problem. Again didn't repeated same issue. Now its working good.

I was under the impression that Apple would touch not an iPhone iPad that was previously opened up by a none qualified or approved store.
Have the rules changed?

I was under the impression that Apple would touch not an iPhone iPad that was previously opened up by a none qualified or approved store.
Have the rules changed?

I also thought this as well.

Reactions: 933
I didn't think changing the screen had an effect on the home button

I read somewhere that there is a cable or connection between the 2 and since Apple brought out the Touch ID that it can be easily broken.
Don't know for sure though. I'm dumb

I didn't think changing the screen had an effect on the home button
The home button is part of the iPhone 7 screen assembly. Also, as the home button incorporates the Touch ID sensor, replacement of the screen by anybody other than Apple or an authorized repair shop will result in Touch ID being disabled because the new Touch ID sensor in the home button cannot be properly connected to the Touch ID chip on the logic board.