What's new

iPhone 7 Could have a Samsung OLED Display According to the Latest Rumors

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Samsung_flexible_AMOLED_phone.jpg

One of the best aspects of the new Apple Watch could make its way to the iPhone 7. According to the latest rumors from the supply chain, Apple is considering using an OLED display from Samsung in the next generation of their venerable iPhone. Here's a quote from the DigiTimes,

The report said Apple is expected to make a decision in November, a move that will also affect Samsung's move to further pursue production of curved OLED panels at its A3 facilities since investment plans to further mass produce the technology are currently in their early stages.

Rumors in the past have speculated that an OLED iPhone from Apple would not appear until 2017 should Apple decide to incorporate the technology, since the vendor has already moved forward with plans for the next iPhone. However, the report speculated a decision from Apple in November could change this development.

If Apple does move toward these Samsung-made OLED displays that might actually make them even more dependent on the Korean OEM. Despite that, it could also mean that the iPhone 7 (or some future iPhone) will include the same plastic/flex display technology found in the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and concentrate on bug free firmware. I'm almost ready to run over my iPhone 6 and buy an Android!

After having a note5, samsung test drive, for two weeks I think the screen upgrade is a good thing. The display on it vs my 6s plus was so much better, sharper colors and just better overall clarity.
In the short amount of time I had with the note, the software is still not as smooth as IOS. I still had to reboot it a few times and close things to get it functioning.

A friends Android has an OLED screen and he's noticed "burn" in on parts of the screen that display the same image/icon. For example the battery indicator at the top is burnt in the display. He noticed this after 6 months. Basically the problems that plasma TV's with burnt in images from the TV bugs commonly in the lower right.

We shared a few photos to compare on my 5s at the time, and his Andriod screen had much more contrast and the colors popped more. I'm all for OLED screens, but only if they can solve burn in issues. I though photos looked superior on my 5s, but hands down his OLED screen looked better.

A friends Android has an OLED screen and he's noticed "burn" in on parts of the screen that display the same image/icon. For example the battery indicator at the top is burnt in the display. He noticed this after 6 months. Basically the problems that plasma TV's with burnt in images from the TV bugs commonly in the lower right.

We shared a few photos to compare on my 5s at the time, and his Andriod screen had much more contrast and the colors popped more. I'm all for OLED screens, but only if they can solve burn in issues. I though photos looked superior on my 5s, but hands down his OLED screen looked better.
If they can't solve the burnt in image problem, I can't see Apple using the OLED displays for their next iPhone.

I've had many OLED phone and never had burn in, not saying it doesn't happen but it's rare and Sammy has OLED on lock.