What's new

iPhone 6 voice mail set up.

efin

Reaction score
When I enter my username and password the screen displays the message, Setting up voicemail, and the little gray gear goes round and round but it never stops and doesn't set up my voice mail. Then when a caller tries to leave a message they hear, voice mail is not set up. My carrier is Consumer Cellular (AT&T).

You set up your voicemail in the Phone app - Voicemail. Tap it, then select "Set Up Now". Follow the instructions there.

Hope that helps.

You set up your voicemail in the Phone app - Voicemail. Tap it, then select "Set Up Now". Follow the instructions there.

Hope that helps.
Thank you. The instructions ask me to create a user name and password. After I do and tap submit it grinds on endlessly. What could be causing that? I have gone through these steps repeatedly since I got the phone 6 months ago. I think it may be a switch I threw in the Setup App, but short of reversing each of them one at a time and trying the Voicemail setup I am at a loss. Was hoping someone in this forum might know. I talked to my carrier's support, but they could not help. They are not familiar with iPhones.

The instructions in a video by Consumer Cellular advise to open the keypad on your phone(Phone - Keypad), and tap and hold 1, then listen to the setup process and select the language and the other settings. It should work this way on every phone.

Call AT&T and make sure it's set up on their end.

The instructions in a video by Consumer Cellular advise to open the keypad on your phone(Phone - Keypad), and tap and hold 1, then listen to the setup process and select the language and the other settings. It should work this way on every phone.
Thank you. I pressed one and a pleasant voice led me through the process. I love this forum.

Glad it's working. As an FYI, I also have ATT and am on my 6 or 7 iphone. Only had to set it up once and it carried over so you showily lent have to do it again.

I was hoping you could help me with a related question. I have AT&T on my iPhone 6. My voicemail is set up and appears to be working just fine. However, I can only access my voicemail via the keyboard (Phone - Keyboard) by tapping and holding the 1 key. However, when I tap Phone, down next to the keyboard icon there is also an icon labeled 'Voicemail'. If I tap on this icon, I can't seem to get anything to happen. What is the purpose of this icon and what is the proper way to use it?

Thanks in advance......

I have AT&T but I am not understanding you. I will attach what my setup looks like. The first picture is my phone keypad. It is what I see when I tap on the phone icon at the bottom of my phone screen. If you look on the lower right you see the voicemail icon. When I press that, I get the second photo which is how I access visual voice mail. If this is not what you have dial 611 and have the AT&T rep set up your voicemail. FYI, I never have to press 1 to access my voicemail.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I have AT&T but I am not understanding you. I will attach what my setup looks like. The first picture is my phone keypad. It is what I see when I tap on the phone icon at the bottom of my phone screen. If you look on the lower right you see the voicemail icon. When I press that, I get the second photo which is how I access visual voice mail. If this is not what you have dial 611 and have the AT&T rep set up your voicemail. FYI, I never have to press 1 to access my voicemail. View attachment 22550
Thanks for the detail. I have exactly what you show. Here's what is confusing.

I called my iPhone from my house phone and left a voicemail message. However, this voicemail entry did not appear on the 2nd photo you showed.....the only thing that appeared were voicemail messages from a month or more ago. The call I just made did not appear. However, if I tapped on the phone icon and then held down the 1 key, I was directed to my voice mailbox where I entered my password and heard my recent voicemail message. Tapping on the voicemail icon did not show this recent call and message.

So it appears that my voicemail is setup and working......I can even hear my recording when I dial my iPhone. I just can't get the voicemail icon to work properly on recent calls.

I'm wondering whether my recent upgrade to IOS 8.4.1 has anything to do with this strange problem. I did the upgrade back in mid-August, and sure enough the last voicemail message I can invoke via the voicemail icon is on 10 Aug.

Call AT&T and make sure you are set up correctly, by them, for visual voice mail. That's what you aren't getting. Perhaps something needs to be done from their end. Just tell them you are having issues with calls no longer appearing in visual voicemail.

Call AT&T and make sure you are set up correctly, by them, for visual voice mail. That's what you aren't getting. Perhaps something needs to be done from their end. Just tell them you are having issues with calls no longer appearing in visual voicemail.
Problem solved. I downloaded/installed iOS 9 and my visual voicemail is now working properly like it use to before I installed 8.4.1 about a month ago; sure enough, that's about the time that my visual voicemail went haywire.

Thanks again for your rapid response and support.