What's new

Iphone 6 safe mode - parental controls

birdblock108

Reaction score
Hi

Im looking at getting my teens an Iphone 6. I want to make sure they cant access innapropriate content.

A problem with Anroid phones is that most parental controls can be overidden by booting up in safe mode. When this is done everything is unrestricted on the phone.

I have been told iphones do not have safe mode, is that correct?

Is there a way the restrictions can be overidden via a safe mode type type feature?

Thanks Harry

You can use restrictions in Settings to some extent, but I'm afraid "inappropriate content" is a fact of life. Any access to the www is going to give access to pretty well everything that is available.

I have a 13 year old and have run the idea past him that I can see what he gets up to, which is not strictly true. I get an email from Microsoft which tells me his usage in very general terms. He thinks it's much more in depth than it actually is.

I also showed him how metadata works on photographs, and asked him if he was comfortable posting photographs that show his exact location to anyone who wants to know it. He went very quiet.

In short, you'll get better results with a bit of social engineering than you will by trying to set up deliberate restrictions. Kids see it as a matter of honour to figure out a way round them.

You can use restrictions in Settings to some extent, but I'm afraid "inappropriate content" is a fact of life. Any access to the www is going to give access to pretty well everything that is available.

I have a 13 year old and have run the idea past him that I can see what he gets up to, which is not strictly true. I get an email from Microsoft which tells me his usage in very general terms. He thinks it's much more in depth than it actually is.

I also showed him how metadata works on photographs, and asked him if he was comfortable posting photographs that show his exact location to anyone who wants to know it. He went very quiet.

In short, you'll get better results with a bit of social engineering than you will by trying to set up deliberate restrictions. Kids see it as a matter of honour to figure out a way round them.

Thank you very much Kevin, i will have to learn how it all works myself lol

To answer the security aspect of your question more fully:

Restrictions can't be bypassed. There is no "safe mode" on an iPhone.

"Find My iPhone" can't be turned off by anyone that doesn't know the passcode, so you can find out from your phone where your kids' phones are.

The restrictions passcode can be different to the access code so your restrictions can't be changed.

Thank you very much Kevin, i will have to learn how it all works myself lol

We will be able to help from here, so please keep in touch. Unfortunately, we will also be able to help your kids, so don't tell them about us. I can imagine two threads running side by side.

"The old man blocked this. How do I get round the block?"

"The kids found the block. How do I set up another one?"

The mind boggles at the possibilities.

In Settings>General>Restrictions>Allowed Content you can set the ratings level for movies, TV shows, books, apps and websites. In websites you can allow all sites, sites in a certain ratings level or specific websites only.
IMG_0783.jpg

If you try to access a website not allowed by the restrictions, you'll get this screen.
IMG_0784.PNG
You have to enter the restrictions password after tapping the allow website button to access a restricted website.

Last edited:
Besides blocking inappropriate content, is it possible to block a specific app on an iPhone 6s?

Besides blocking inappropriate content, is it possible to block a specific app on an iPhone 6s?
Unless the app has its own password protection it's not possible to block specific third party apps. You can control access to some of the built in apps like Safari, iTunes, and the App Store by going to settings>General>Restrictions>Allow and turning off the switches for the apps you select. As long as the person using the iPhone does not have the restrictions password he can't change what you selected.