What's new

Iphone 6 don't know passcode

Johnny808

Reaction score
Hi there I recently purchased an iphone 6 from eBay for my partners birthday. When the phone arrived I soon realised there was a passcode on the phone so I am unable to get into it. I searched online to see if I could get round it and all I got was the recovery mode option. I tried this and it does not seem to work. Any help or info from you guys would be much appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Johnny808!

This iPhone still seems to be connected to his previous owner. An iDevice that has been reset and erased correctly, doesn't require a passcode or anything else when you turn it on.

If it's "just" the passcode, then recovery mode is the only option you have to get it working again. That it didn't help, makes me think you're experiencing iCloud's Activation Lock.

In that case, the iPhone is asking for the password of the former owner's Apple ID, and it's still connected to his iCloud account. There's no way around. If that's the case, you'll have to contact the previous owner, and ask him to remove this iPhone from his iCloud account. Here's what has to be done:
iCloud: Remove your device from Find My iPhone

"Remove an iOS device you no longer have" is the part you need.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. While I was trying to restore it every 15 minutes or so a box would appear on screen with a message along the lines of 'please respond on your iphone' which also does nothing. Then once the update/restore was finished nothing happened after that? Thanks for your help I will try what you told me :)

Also the seller has not replied to me on eBay which kinda makes me this could possibly be a stolen phone or they have maybe found it. If this is the case then I won't be able to access it at all I presume? And should probably report it to police? Thanks

If it was stolen or found, you won't be able to access it, that's right.

Contact the seller, ask him for a refund. If he doesn't reply or agree, open an "item not as described" dispute on ebay. Make sure the time for opening a dispute doesn't/didn't expire.