What's new

iPhone 5S Touch ID

NickJ

Reaction score
This is huge! What do you guys think about this? The iPhone will now be able to tell who you are by your fingerprint.

this is probably one of the features I most love about the 5S.. no more typing in my password every time

My main question is how are the heavy duty case makers going to accommodate the sensor? Life proof and the armor both cover the home button as does the defender. What about screen protectors like the glas.t that are slightly raised and have an add on button to raise it up flush? So many questions and no answers!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the function will be unavailable if you use a life proof case, a password or slide function would have to be used as usual.

OMG This is what i am talking about! Fingerprint! Big step forward but still .. we need more ...!!

More info for the NSA. Exactly when and where you are as you touch the button. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happened to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

Its one function that I honestly can do quite nicely without... at this time anyway... its only feature that I think I would appreciate is that I don't have to type my apple ID in every time I purchase something from the app store..

Otherwise I can punch in 4 numbers a couple of times a day and not work up a sweat

The 5S and 5C are not ...to me.. worth spending MY money on

Bob G

I am curious what is the purpose of a finger print scanner verses the old login? surely there has to be a draw back with it's use somewhere? and what if the finger print scanner fails like the home button on my i4 did 8 months ago how does one unlock the phone then ??
a nice feature maybe but I have some serious doubts as in life stuff happens. anyone have any thoughts or answers about this?
thanks in advance for any insight on this.

I am curious what is the purpose of a finger print scanner verses the old login? surely there has to be a draw back with it's use somewhere? and what if the finger print scanner fails like the home button on my i4 did 8 months ago how does one unlock the phone then ??
a nice feature maybe but I have some serious doubts as in life stuff happens. anyone have any thoughts or answers about this?
thanks in advance for any insight on this.

Well i thought of this too and i was wondering if they could put those questions like hot-mail so it could be easier for you to access your phone when the fingerprint scan fails ..Who knows? But im sure Apple already thought about it ,so dont worry :]

My main question is how are the heavy duty case makers going to accommodate the sensor? Life proof and the armor both cover the home button as does the defender. What about screen protectors like the glas.t that are slightly raised and have an add on button to raise it up flush? So many questions and no answers!!

Ok, so I wasn't even thinking about that. Duh! I ordered a defender type case because I love the one I have on my 4S. The only thing I was thinking of is making sure the cutout for the camera was big enough for the new dual led flash. Didn't even dawn on me about the home button. Guess if I want to use the case I won't be using the fingerprint scanner. :(

Last edited:
Ok, so I wasn't even thinking about that. Duh! I ordered a defender type case because I love the one I have on my 4S. The only thing I was thinking of is making sure the cutout for the camera was big enough for the new dual led flash. Didn't even dawn on me about the home button. Guess if I want to use the case I won't be using the fingerprint scanner. :(

It looks like they just extended the screen protector so that you can still get to the scanner. At least that's what I can tell from the pictures I've seen thus far of the defender online at otterbox.com.

It looks like they just extended the screen protector so that you can still get to the scanner. At least that's what I can tell from the pictures I've seen thus far of the defender online at otterbox.com.

Yeah, but the case I ordered is a knock off defender case so it covers the home button. I really love the case on my 4S, but I guess I'll just have to go for a different one.

Biometric recognition is a old things in PC's but something new on the mobile front. Apple has come up with some unique ideas and patents I was wondering if they have implemented the new drop damage prevention idea I had heard apple had filed a patent for it some months ago.

I have a quandary , I've set up my Finger print ID as per instructions , but for some reason I am still getting a ' swipe to unlock ' option on the display . My finger print works fine with no problems unlocking the phone , so what's the point in having the slide to unlock as an alternative option available so easily ? Kind of defeats the object really !

I have a quandary , I've set up my Finger print ID as per instructions , but for some reason I am still getting a ' swipe to unlock ' option on the display . My finger print works fine with no problems unlocking the phone , so what's the point in having the slide to unlock as an alternative option available so easily ? Kind of defeats the object really !

And what happens when the home button fails?

Or

What happens when someone you trust needs access and you aren't there to touch the phone?

It is called protecting the user from themselves. Something we developers try to do to make sure you don't complain when something goes wrong.