What's new

iPhone 5s locked or protected.

SirDarknight

Reaction score
My cousin got an iPhone 5s as gift from his uncle.But after he opened the box and turned on the iPhone, he found out that he can't literally do anything with it except browsing.This is as much as I know, he is coming to me tonight for help.Before that I can't state much information here.So, guys, if you know something about this kind of problem then please reply. I'll really appreciate it.

Note : His uncle bought it legally(From Italy) not from any unauthorized shop or second hand.Also it's currently not possible to take the phone to the store from where it was bought as we live in Bangladesh.

What happens when he tries to do anything else with the phone? Was the phone already set up when he received it and opened the box? Can he open any apps and use them? If not, what happens when he taps an app icon?

It want a username and password, says it's protected by iCloud.

It want a username and password, says it's protected by iCloud.
What you've got is an iCloud locked iPhone. Unfortunately there's no way to get this phone working without the Apple ID and password of the original owner. There's no way to bypass this requirement. The store that sold the phone to your uncle neglected to make sure it was properly erased and free of an iCloud lock.

Last edited:
I agree. It was set up and is tied to someone else. The uncle needs to contact where he bought it from and see if they will resolve the issue. Doing a reset or restore will NOT solve the issue. Once it attempts to activate the phone it will see it is tied to an iCloud account and once again ask for the email and password.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If got original box and receipt to prove the I am the owner of the iPhone , Apple can help to remove the iCloud ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If got original box and receipt to prove the I am the owner of the iPhone , Apple can help to remove the iCloud ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The box and receipt are not enough on their own. The iPhone would also have to have been registered with Apple under your name when first purchased. In that case Apple MAY help you.

I have seen people go into the Apple store with proof of ownership and Apple has reset/restored the phone. So,,, it is worth a try at least. But, I believe in your case it likely won't help. I say this as, the phone may have been bought by you legitly, but it came from someone before you. If you locked yourself out of your own phone, they would likely help you. It is only yours you have bought it. Since you are not the original owner, you may simply be out of luck.