What's new

iPhone 5s headphone jack corrosion

I looked at the markings on the EarPods plug. It is possible that there's some electrical arcing here? To check this out, plug in the EarPods and play some music in a completely dark room while looking closely at the headphone jack area.

Gavinj- This is exactly it. I am on my third 5S right now and it is clear that running is the issue. I didn't recognize it at first but now I've had this failure 3 times and they are clearly tied to running. But even still the issue is not so simple... I take good care to protect the phone while I'm running, but just now I was jogging on a treadmill and in the middle the volume controls stopped working. When I checked the jack, yup, corroded pitted and deposits.

Here's what I think is happening - sweat is getting jn the headphone remote and causing a short that is leading to increased potential in the jack and that is causing the corrosion.

For the record: I don't live near the coast, I don't work or live around any chemicals, in fact the environment I subject this phone is identical to what my 4S saw and I never had any problems. I am using the apple earbuds.

Gavinj- This is exactly it. I am on my third 5S right now and it is clear that running is the issue. I didn't recognize it at first but now I've had this failure 3 times and they are clearly tied to running. But even still the issue is not so simple... I take good care to protect the phone while I'm running, but just now I was jogging on a treadmill and in the middle the volume controls stopped working. When I checked the jack, yup, corroded pitted and deposits.

Here's what I think is happening - sweat is getting jn the headphone remote and causing a short that is leading to increased potential in the jack and that is causing the corrosion.

For the record: I don't live near the coast, I don't work or live around any chemicals, in fact the environment I subject this phone is identical to what my 4S saw and I never had any problems. I am using the apple earbuds.

Use antiperspirant bro... Lol

I'm just glad there seems to be a common theme between the two cases on here - but tons of people run with their iphones, I guess we'll see if more crop up... especially since this is likely the only thread about it, anywhere, right now.

Stan,

What case did you say you were using? Is the iPhone strapped to your outer Arm? The Jack is now on the bottom (maybe this is why Apple moved it, to prevent Sweat unless Upside Down).

If I recall you used an iPhone 4 or 4s previously but never had this issue.

Oh, and by the way go easy on the electrolytes ;) (sorry I couldn't resist)!

Stan,

What case did you say you were using? Is the iPhone strapped to your outer Arm? The Jack is now on the bottom (maybe this is why Apple moved it, to prevent Sweat unless Upside Down).

If I recall you used an iPhone 4 or 4s previously but never had this issue.

Oh, and by the way go easy on the electrolytes ;) (sorry I couldn't resist)!

I think I have naturally excessively salty sweat... So armband is a belkin easefit plus. I also picked up third party headphones that claim to be made for excersizing. We'll see how it goes

This is really crazy.
Take it to Apple Store they should know about that.
It is just like to the issue that happened to iphone 5 when the color start to fade around the corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

did the problem get resolved, just a point i noticed: the original phone and subsiquant replacement phones all had the same problem when running apart from the head phones that were also changed the only other component that was the same through all the phones was the running case / Arm band could this be the problem, this is a wild guess but you never know.

The issue is minor and no further posts were made by the OP One only has to search the net to confirm that it is not a major problem.

With my year old Iphone 5 I thought I was just getting a poor signal with Pandora after the last OS upgrade, as the sound through the OEM headphones sounded hollow and garbled. I looked at the headphone jack and also noticed rust. I switched headphones with my wife and the same issue. There is also some discoloration on the headphone plug. If I twist the plug in the jack I can usually get the issue to clear up, but its getting worse, so I'm taking it to an Apple store today. Also sometimes the phone now thinks the headphones are plugged in when they aren't.