What's new

iPhone 5s headphone jack corrosion

Ok second 5s, second corroded headphone jack.

This time I used it 45 minutes and it never had any malfunction, but upon inspection the aluminum band is flaking off near the jack. It's not as bad as before, but it is clearly happening again.

As it happens I'm a mechanical engineer so i took it down to our lab to look at it under the microscope, and showed it to many of my colleagues. I think we have ruled out leaky battery as the root cause.

But now... this is really upsetting.

This will become a big problem for apple soon. I might return the phone and buy a new one but this time get the extended warranty.

Ok second 5s, second corroded headphone jack.

This time I used it 45 minutes and it never had any malfunction, but upon inspection the aluminum band is flaking off near the jack. It's not as bad as before, but it is clearly happening again.

As it happens I'm a mechanical engineer so i took it down to our lab to look at it under the microscope, and showed it to many of my colleagues. I think we have ruled out leaky battery as the root cause.

But now... this is really upsetting.

This will become a big problem for apple soon. I might return the phone and buy a new one but this time get the extended warranty.

Out of curiosity, any chemicals in the air? Like chlorine or some salt compound? Because if you are sure that it isn't a battery leak, then you need some other chemical to induce the issue since it can't be galvanic in nature based on what we know so far.

Also, did they replace the headphones or just the phone when you went to the Apple store? In other words are you using the same headphones that came with your first phone?

Also, did they replace the headphones or just the phone when you went to the Apple store? In other words are you using the same headphones that came with your first phone?

Yeah they replaced the headphones too.

And the new headphones are also discolored and have deposits (same as the previous ones)

No good.. Chinese metal

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Moderator edit...removed external link. Please read the forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, any chemicals in the air? Like chlorine or some salt compound? Because if you are sure that it isn't a battery leak, then you need some other chemical to induce the issue since it can't be galvanic in nature based on what we know so far.

They are dissimilar metals- the band is aluminum and the jack is steel. Both are plAted. There is a small voltage in this area and who knows what other conditions exist in this plug. We would need metallurgical analysis and a teardown to effectively root cause this.

The chemicals in the air... no

They are dissimilar metals- the band is aluminum and the jack is steel. Both are plAted. There is a small voltage in this area and who knows what other conditions exist in this plug. We would need metallurgical analysis and a teardown to effectively root cause this.

The chemicals in the air... no

What makes you think the head phone jack is steel?

And of course there is voltage and amperage going through the connection. Only way for the magnets in the ear pieces to be moved.

Also that still doesn't explain the corrosion that occurred past the outer ring of the headphone jack. There is NO metal that can touch there.

Doesn't apple have that 3rd ring for communication things like end call.. Call... Pause play..? Thay could be faulty maybe.

Doesn't apple have that 3rd ring for communication things like end call.. Call... Pause play..? Thay could be faulty maybe.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free

3 rings are needed for stereo sound. Ground, left and right. The controls are piggy backed on the signal in a range the human ear can't hear.

Android has 3 apple has 4... I think

Moderator edit...removed external links! Please read the forum rules.

Android has 3 apple has 4... I think

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free

My bad! Apple does use 4. Android, last time I used them in 2011, was 3. That's what I get for trying to multitask ;) Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll try not to screw that one up again.

My bad! Apple does use 4. Android, last time I used them in 2011, was 3. That's what I get for trying to multitask ;) Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'll try not to screw that one up again.

Lmao.. There could be something off alignment and creating heat no?

Moderator edit...removed external link.

If you guys would stop pumping 50 thousand watts of music through that jack....just kidding. I know this is a serious issue. And I know a similar question was asked the OP before, but was the phone ever in the vicinity of any chemical vapors, however minute, such as hydrochloric or sulfuric acid?

Sent from my iPhone 4S or iPad 3rd gen, whichever I happen to have in my hands at the time, using iPF.net

This is crazy.. I haven't used my headphone jack on my 5S yet. And now I don't think I want to... Id like to hear/read more on this as further develops. And I'm wondering how many other users have this issue?

This is crazy.. I haven't used my headphone jack on my 5S yet. And now I don't think I want to... Id like to hear/read more on this as further develops. And I'm wondering how many other users have this issue?

Yeah, I'm with you! I'm not using the headphone jack for nothing. I have the gold iphone & it's too nice to take a chance & have that happen & I won't be able to get a new one because they aren't in stock anywhere. No thanks!