What's new

iPhone 5s cracked..

lovefree day

Reaction score
My iPhone 5s cracked, the screen is fine and the logic board has not been damaged too, the flex cables are broken and the battery is also a little twisted up. Is there any chance I could power up the phone by connecting only the logic board and the display ?

and if so how ? I'm trying to identify whether there are any defects in the LCD, digitizer or the motherboard..

iPhone 5s, iOS 7

You're going to have to repair the internal damage if you want to safely power up your iPhone. It's also possible that the logic board has damage that's not apparent during a visual examination.

Last edited:
@scifan57 thanks for the reply..
and by internal damage, I take it you are talking about the flex cables.. and if by any chance I get my logic board working alright (imagine replacing it to another iPhone and checking) will I be able to recover my phone by replacing the flex cables? Also are all the components(like the camera) definitely necessary to power it up ?
by the way, visually saying only the top flex cable was torn the bottom flex cable has not been at all damaged(pretty sure)..

Last edited:
By damage to the logic board I meant damage to the components on the board itself. Most such damage is not repairable. If you know someone with the proper test equipment and the training you could have the logic board tested to see if anything is wrong. If any of the flex cables connected to the logic board need replacing, it can be very tricky to replace them without damaging other components. Unless you're trained in electronics repair it's usually considered best to have a proper repair shop handle a job as extensive as yours seems to be.

A failed camera, in and of itself, will not prevent an iPhone from powering up.

@scifan57 I get it, so its better to buy a new phone than go through all the trouble I guess..
Thanks anyways, cheers ! :)

One more random question bro, so according to what you said the general requirements to power on an iphone would be the logic board, lcd and the charging dock connector to power it on ?

@scifan57 I get it, so its better to buy a new phone than go through all the trouble I guess..
Thanks anyways, cheers ! :)

One more random question bro, so according to what you said the general requirements to power on an iphone would be the logic board, lcd and the charging dock connector to power it on ?
You would also need functional home and power buttons to do anything useful. You also need a battery as it's the battery which powers the iPhone. The charger does not directly power the phone, it just charges the battery, which powers the phone.

@scifan57 thank you bro, much appreciated (Y)
I sent the board and the display for a check up and if they aren't faulty I'll consider replacing the flex cables and hopefully ill have her working fine again..

@alicepattinson Yeah, ill try and do that..

I'll keep the thread posted on progress.. :)

Good, it will be interesting to see if you can get the phone working. My father was someone who liked tinkering with things as well. He'd like to get something working again that most people would discard.