What's new

iPhone 5 wifi connection dropping

Highrisedrifter

Reaction score
I got my iPhone 5 today and set it up no problems, much like i've done in the past to my other iDevices.

The issue I seem to have is that whenever I go out of wifi range, turn on airplane mode, or turn off wifi, I have to re-enter my wifi password when I want to connect again. The device completely fails to auto-connect.

I don't have this issue with any of my other iDevices or other phones/laptops etc.

I'm getting a solid three out of three bar signal when it finds the wifi.

I'm using a Netgear DG834GT router and I have tried a factory reset on the iPhone, reset netowrk settings and reboot.

Has anyone else experienced this issue yet please? If so, any help on a resolution would be appreciated please.

Well, no. Mine has remembered the wireless network and password with no problem. Even when I pulled the sim card out (don't ask). Have you tried leaving it on wifi, leaving the area and see if it reconnects automatically? I don't know how that will resolve the problem but I don't see you mention that on your post.

Hi Hookbill, thank for the response. Yes, I tried that. In fact, that was how I found the issue in the first place. I got my phone this morning and then went out shopping. When I came back it required me to enter the password.

Saying this though, I have just found what seems to be a fix. I've added the router manually by entering the SSID then password. It seems to keep connected even after going out of range/airplane mode/wifi off. I guess I will monitor it and see how it goes.

Nice fix. Glad it worked for you. I have a spot where I sit in the house I called the dead zone. When I started using Android phones I never lost wifi connection. iPad doesn't lose it either. But I think the iPhone 5 may have. I went back to settings and it said not connected. I tapped and connected.

I wonder if there are short cuts to the menu to turn on wifi without going to settings?