What's new

iPhone 5 vs iPhone 4 - Should You Upgrade?

Thomasjtsi said:
Posts like this baffle me. Have we forgotten that this is an iPhone Help, Appreciation & Fan forum?!? Especially members who've been here for going on a year. No offense towards anyone... because everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just find it hard to accept that some members sole purpouse here is to bring down other individuals who are truly happy w/ decisions they've made to have the iPhone 5, 4S, 4... or whatever.

Totally agree with you... I'm tired of trying to defend my decision to purchase the iPhone 5. I'm reverting back to the iPad forum as cannot understand the negativity.

Thomasjtsi said:
Posts like this baffle me. Have we forgotten that this is an iPhone Help, Appreciation & Fan forum?!? Especially members who've been here for going on a year. No offense towards anyone... because everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just find it hard to accept that some members sole purpouse here is to bring down other individuals who are truly happy w/ decisions they've made to have the iPhone 5, 4S, 4... or whatever.

Not trying to bring down no one sir!! Just trying to tell you that there is a rumored recall out there and I'm glad I waited to see if there was going to be any issues with the 5!! That's all!!

Not trying to bring down no one sir!! Just trying to tell you that there is a rumored recall out there and I'm glad I waited to see if there was going to be any issues with the 5!! That's all!!

*Rumored recall* really? I give little weight to posts that base their opinions being credible on rumors.

Ok, lets kill off the rumors for right now and get this subject of the "purple haze" into a factual context. Normally I would write up a rather lengthy post on the WHYs but someone else already has so I'll direct you to their article instead.

iPhone 5 users seeing 'purple haze' in pictures, claim camera is defective

For those that don't want to leave the site, here is the gist of it.
Some speculated the purple fringing seen with the iPhone 5 was caused by either a fault in the camera's design, new lens structure or sapphire lens cover, however it appears the problem lies in one of the most basic shortfalls of camera technology: distortion.

As with all optical elements in a camera's lens array, light is bent at different angles as it passes through the substrate, usually some form of glass or plastic, to converge at a single point on the focal plane. In the case of digital cameras, the focal plane is the unit's imaging sensor which, in the case of the iPhone 5, is of the backside-illuminated CMOS variety.

At issue is a lens array's refractive index which numerically represents the manner in which light, or more specifically wavelengths of light, moves through the optics system. Ideally, a lens will focus all colors, or wavelengths, at a single point on the focal plane, thus creating a near-perfect replication of an image. In practice, however, lenses don't allow for wavelengths to meet at a convergence point, creating what is called chromatic aberration.

Due to a number of factors, including reference tuning, architecture of digital sensors and relatively short focal lengths in smaller camera systems, chromatic aberration usually presents itself in shorter wavelengths like violet.

As the article mentions, this isn't a design flaw specific to the iPhone 5 but to all cameras that use very short distances between several lens before the light is finally captured.

BTW; I am of the opinion, based on a few years of working with graphics on PCs, that they could write a corrective algorithm for this condition. The issue then becomes, when to apply the post processing filter. Because I can think of natural conditions where the filter would actually hurt the picture instead of correcting it.

kris7047th said:
*Rumored recall* really? I give little weight to posts that base their opinions being credible on rumors.

Ok!! That's fine!! Look I still have the option to upgrade to the 5 within in the next few weeks!! But battery life, easily tarnished or scratched, and the whole Lighting adapter to all my aftermarket accessories gives Me Pause!! I Love Apple products, but for me I am leaning toward skipping this generation till Apple gets some of these things ironed out!! A phone of this caliber is a 18 to 24 month comment. And for Me the 4s is probably the best option since its road tested and proven reliable! Again the 5 just doesn't have enough of "Wow upgrades" vs the 4s for ME to make a long term commitment on an unproven phone!!

Have you tried using the iphone 5 in store? Worth a try before you make a final decision.

Ok, Folk....we need to bring it down notch in regards to the tone of your comments. Otherwise we will be forced to close this thread!

Please be respectful of others comments and opinions. If you do not want to purchase the iPhone 5, than so be it, but please keep your undesirables to yourself.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Hi all.

I went from an ip4 straight to the ip5 in one sweep .
Luckily for me i sold my ip4 and 1st gen ipad and paid less than a third of the purchase price for the ip5.

In a way i dont think ive list out . Agreed app devs do need to update their apps for the higher resolution , and ive already received some so the momentum will gather pace there.
The larger screen looks fantastic , and speed wise theres a marked improvement , especially opening & changing app to app.

The weight is the first thing you notice too , and despite negativity surrounding the maps i suspect that is something ios devs will promptly improve maybe in an ios 6.1 update ???

I havent used the ip4s so perhaps making my observations and experience with it so far strictly between the 4 and 5 & i am happy with it . Live and let live , if people dont want to upgrade then fair enough , but for those of us that have will be the ones giving feedback to apple on how they can improve it for the 5s .
To some extent the 5 could be classed as market research and feedback taken on board.

If people didnt buy the 2,3,4 or 5 how would apple improve with no sales .
I also think that given the numbers sold , the interest is justified and again improved upon so that ip5s buyers can be comfortable knowing things have be rectified.

I for one amongst many am very happy with it .

Thats my post :)

Seems to be some misconceptions about the iPhone 5.

Mine arrived with Zero blemishes and still has zero blemishes. I can only speak for myself but my battery has been much better that any other iPhone I owned.

Today it was taken off the charger at 730am and its now 940 at night and I am still at 75%. I used it to navigate twice (did not get lost), some texts, some web browsing and a few calls. This was a lighter day than normal but in my opinion the battery life today was surprisingly good.

Camera works great. No purple haze or other weird phenomena.

You have to remember with Apple there's a lot of over hype both good and bad so take things with a pinch of salt.

I would highly recommend this phone.

Seems to be some misconceptions about the iPhone 5.

Mine arrived with Zero blemishes and still has zero blemishes. I can only speak for myself but my battery has been much better that any other iPhone I owned.

Today it was taken off the charger at 730am and its now 940 at night and I am still at 75%. I used it to navigate twice (did not get lost), some texts, some web browsing and a few calls. This was a lighter day than normal but in my opinion the battery life today was surprisingly good.

Camera works great. No purple haze or other weird phenomena.

You have to remember with Apple there's a lot of over hype both good and bad so take things with a pinch of salt.

I would highly recommend this phone.
I agree too, no display issues with mine or any blemishes whatsoever , and today i have completed a 300 mile drive using maps and i was very impressed. Super quick navigation , clear and easy and there and back using turn by turn with not a single fault .

That's your opinion don't you see that? How can you state I have wasted money when I have a product which I'm more than happy with and does a lot more than you believe. I had the iPhone 4S and all previous models and can honestly state it has the wow factor and is more than a little better. But that's just my opinion as a proud owner of the iPhone 5. I wouldn't dream of forcing my opinion on others even though my belief is your wasting money by sticking with the previous model.

Don't you just love it when some contradict what you say about the i5 when you had BOTH phones to make a valid comparison, and they haven't ? It's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I know another guy who owned both the i4s and a S3, got to play with both i5 and i4 to compare over last weekend, decided to sell the i4 because he too decided it was worth it to upgrade. To each their own.

kris7047th said:
Don't you just love it when some contradict what you say about the i5 when you had BOTH phones to make a valid comparison, and they haven't ? It's your opinion, which you are entitled to. I know another guy who owned both the i4s and a S3, got to play with both i5 and i4 to compare over last weekend, decided to sell the i4 because he too decided it was worth it to upgrade. To each their own.

I've had every iPhone since the first iphone was released and upgrade annually by selling my previous model and paying the little difference. This year was the very first time in over 5 years I've been tempted to buy another phone. (The Samsung galaxy s3). After using it for 4 months (my sisters Galaxy) I thought it had more going for it than the iPhone 4S. (Siri didn't work so well in the UK). However, I personally think with each model Apple are getting better and better! I was instantly blown away with the new design and features (still am) and Im VERY happy with my iPhone 5! No flaws what so ever. :) It is worth while testing products.