What's new

iPhone 5 or iPhone 6?!?

Will the 2012 release be an iPhone 5 or iPhone 6?

• iPhone 5

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • iPhone 6

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.....

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Thomasjtsi

Reaction score
I've been having friendly... and some not so friendly... conversations w/ friends and co-workers in regards to the next generation iPhone's designating #. IMO, it will be the 6th generation iPhone... thus dubbing it the iPhone 6. Many others have rambled on about this year's being the 4S... making the next release an iPhone 5. What are your thoughs?

Last edited:
My thoughts are that its more likely to be called 4G or maybe 4GS with an actual 4G network rather then 3G.

They will call it the iDon't in 2012.

iDon't crash!
iDon't lose your data!
iDon't have 15 different APIs!
iDon't have 7 different screen resolutions!
iDon't miss a call!
iDon't miss a text!

And for once I will cut the Android fans a break and give their side.

iDon't let you install any app you want!
iDon't let you modify anything!
iDon't let you add more memory!
iDon't let you change the battery easily!
iDon't let you use any old program to connect to me!

See, I can show both sides of the argument. Fair and impartial.
/me really needs to get some sleep

Skull One said:
They will call it the iDon't in 2012.

iDon't crash!
iDon't lose your data!
iDon't have 15 different APIs!
iDon't have 7 different screen resolutions!
iDon't miss a call!
iDon't miss a text!

And for once I will cut the Android fans a break and give their side.

iDon't let you install any app you want!
iDon't let you modify anything!
iDon't let you add more memory!
iDon't let you change the battery easily!
iDon't let you use any old program to connect to me!

See, I can show both sides of the argument. Fair and impartial.
/me really needs to get some sleep

Roflmao!

5. I think Apple is keeping a steady release pattern of: Whole #, Whole # with an "S", Whole #.

unicornWaste said:
5. I think Apple is keeping a steady release pattern of: Whole #, Whole # with an "S", Whole #.

Agreed!😊

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

it's going to be the 5th Generation iPhone. But yeay, Apple is Apple.

it's going to be the 5th Generation iPhone. But yeay, Apple is Apple.
bab2010... I really need to disagree w/ you on it being the 5th Gen.1st Gen - Original iPhone2nd Gen - iPhone 3G3rd Gen - iPhone 3GS4th Gen - iPhone 45th Gen - iPhone 4S6th Gen - iPhone ?With that... I see no association as to how it could be labed the "iPhone 5." I'll even go out on a limb and say they could go w/ "iPhone 4G"... since there's a good possibility of it truly being supported on 4G networks. However, my instinct still has me with it being the "iPhone 6."

thomasjtsi said:
bab2010... I really need to disagree w/ you on it being the 5th Gen.1st Gen - Original iPhone2nd Gen - iPhone 3G3rd Gen - iPhone 3GS4th Gen - iPhone 45th Gen - iPhone 4S6th Gen - iPhone ?With that... I see no association as to how it could be labed the "iPhone 5." I'll even go out on a limb and say they could go w/ "iPhone 4G"... since there's a good possibility of it truly being supported on 4G networks. However, my instinct still has me with it being the "iPhone 6."

How about we call it A.Six/s

إيكرانك...المسطرة

Note: I cleaned up the original post for readability

bab2010... I really need to disagree w/ you on it being the 5th Gen.

1st Gen - Original iPhone
2nd Gen - iPhone 3G
3rd Gen - iPhone 3GS
4th Gen - iPhone 4
5th Gen - iPhone 4S
6th Gen - iPhone ?

With that... I see no association as to how it could be labed the "iPhone 5." I'll even go out on a limb and say they could go w/ "iPhone 4G"... since there's a good possibility of it truly being supported on 4G networks. However, my instinct still has me with it being the "iPhone 6."

While your post lists the phones in the order they came out, your idea that the generations followed that list is not what Apple nor the rest of the industry believes.

The iPhone generations are listed in the developer source code which means they are set in stone and can't be argued with.

The phones are listed as generation comma version.
iPhone 1,1 - Original
iPhone 1,2 - 3G
iPhone 2,1 - 3GS
iPhone 3,1 - 4 GSM
iPhone 3,3 - 4 CDMA
iPhone 4,1 - 4S GSM/CDMA

The next generation is already set as iPhone 5,1.

Side note: Those generations I listed were all based on CPU upgrades. IE Original and 3G were ARM 1176JZ. 3GS is the ARM Cortex A8. 4 is the A4. 4S is the A5.

BTW, the iPhone 5,1 might be the first generation of iPhone that won't have a CPU upgrade involved unless the A6 catches up in yield rates.

So in closing, it will be called the iPhone 5 because Apple will not skip a number. That would be seen as a failure.

popcorn.gif

If it's not called a 4G, it will be called a 5, simply because 5 follows 4..........well, fancy that. IMHO, all those that argue strongly that it will be iPhone 6 are in for a wheelbarrow full of fail and should open a thread entitled "all those that called it iPhone 6 post here" so that it is easy to identify and ridicule them.

Last edited: