What's new

Iphone 5 iOS 8.4.1 - battery 15% and shut off

pnfs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently received my Iphone 5 which has installed iOS 8.4.1 .
The battery works fine, after fully charged with a regular use lasts for around 20 hours, although while
being at 15% - 20% the phone suddenly shuts off to the black screen.

I have pressed home button and on/off button - the phone turns on, shows the same battery percentage as before and after couple of seconds it shuts off.

Could you please give me any advance what should I do ? I really hope it is not the battery issue since
I would like to avoid replacing it.

Best,
Pawel

Does this happen if you charge the battery to 100%, then run it continuously till it shuts down?

It's probably not a problem with the battery itself as you say you get 20 hours of use before it shuts down.

I have this phone for 2 days and I have charged it every time up to 100%.
Happened already second time that it turns off at 16-20 %.

Try this then. Charge your battery for several hours, even after it says 100%, without using it while charging. Run the battery down until the phone shuts down. Recharge again like the first time, then restart the iPhone by pressing and holding both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the phone to restart. Unless there is something wrong with your iPhone this should recalibrate the battery percentage meter. When you use the phone after this, make note of the percentage indicated when the iPhone shuts down.

BTW, are you using the iPhone in cod weather? This could cause early shut down as the battery has less power when cold.

20 hours? Go into Usage, under Settings,General and see what it says for battery usage. What does it say there for Usage and Stand-by. If the two add up to over 8 hours your battery is fine. The Usage section here is key as new, that battery had 8 hours usage.

Great , thanks for the advices scifan57 and bear7962. Now in settings it states 0 , 0 since the phone is being charged.
I will follow your guidance and see if that helps.
(I have used my phone in a regular temperature)

Hey I have tried accordingly to your advises but now
Iphone instead of going down at 15-20% turns off at around 5-10%.
It's an improvement, although of course I would like to always be sure that 1% is 1% ,especially
in emergency situations.

Since none of the usual solutions have really worked, you may want to take the iPhone to an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment. Genius Bar appointments are always free and if there is a fix to your problem that doesn't involve a hardware repair, it's free as well.