What's new

iPhone 5 helps Apple obtain 53% of the US smartphone market

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
share-121221.jpg

Some more end of the year good news for Apple. According to statistics coming from Kantar Worldpanel, Apple’s iPhone has achieved its highest share ever since it was first launched in the US. And this incredible surge was all thanks to the recent newcomer to the Apple family – the iPhone 5. The data compiled in the study was gathered up until the 25th of November and reveled that Apple’s iPhone ended up accounting for 53.3% of the total US smartphone market.

Compared to the data of last year, these numbers represent a significant increase. 2011 saw Apple grab only 35.8% of the US market.
Kantar global consumer insight director, Dominic Sunnebo stated:

"Apple has reached a major milestone in the U.S. by passing the 50 percent share mark for the first time, with further gains expected to be made during December."

Coming in at number 2 is of course, iOS’s biggest competitor, Android. The operating system has experienced a downfall when compared with the results of last year. Android managed to grab just 41.9% from the 52.9% it had in 2011. However, when looking from a global point of view, Android still holds domination over the market share with 72.4%. This result is explained by the massive number of Android devices present in the mobile ecosystem.

If in the US customers seem to be loyal to the Apple brand, in Europe, things are a little bit different. Samsung holds the majority in the market share with 44.3% in Europe’s five top countries while Apple comes in at number two with 25.3%. Companies like HTC, Sony and Nokia follow after.

Source: AppleInsider

Apple carries 53% market share with 4 devices compared to Android's hundreds. Pretty good if anyone think about it. Why people say the iPhone sucks they must see the report as stats don't lie.

lol.. i find very funny how the source of these numbers is from a ifan based company. lets see what the rest of world has to say about thoes numbers. only non baised sites were choosen to make this post. the way it should be.
1. article android hits 75% market share
c/p>Manufacturers — mostly samsunghttp://venturebeat.com/2012/10/25/s...57m-smartphones-in-q3-twice-as-many-as-apple/ — shipped 136 million Android-based phones in the third quarter of 2012, capturing 75 percent market share. The only other growing phone ecosystem, iOS, shipped 27 million units, taking 15 percent market share.
136 to 27mil if my math is correct the last time i checked 136 is more than 27.
link to article for verifaction>hxxtp://venturebeat.com/2012/11/01/as-android-grabs-75-market-share-can-anyone-tell-me-why-this-is-not-mac-vs-pc-all-over-again/

2.Android's dominance of the global smartphone is getting out of hand.
New datahttp://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS23771812 says androidhttp://www.businessinsider.com/blackboard/android owned 75 percent of the smartphone market in the third quarter of 2012. apple was a distant second with 14.9 percent of the market.

Android's unit shipments nearly doubled on a year over year basis, growing 91 percent.
source>>hxxp://www.businessinsider.com/android-market-share-2012-11

3.Android market share spikes to more than 72% in Q3
http://www.businessinsider.com/android-market-share-2012-11#ixzz2GBfm9AjmSamsung in particular had a good quarter, selling 55 million smartphones to Apple's 23.5 million.
source>>hxxp://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/111412-android-264260.html

4.Android dominates China, takes 90% of the mobile market
Little green robots have invaded China and conquered its mobile market. The android operating system has seen substantial growth in the Asian country and is now estimated to have captured 90.1% of the market, a year-over-year increase from 58.2%. The numbers come to us from Analysys International, which in a new report also revealed that apple's Chinese market share declined from 6% to 4.2% in the same timeframe.
hxxp://bgr.com/2012/11/16/android-chinese-market-share-2012/

now i'm not a apple hater as i also have an iphone. but c'mon people we can't just take 1 article as god's truth. we must learn to do a bit of research and not let what apple or there affiliates brain wash us. were smarter than that...i hope

Vatoloco I agree with you that you should not go by one source and more so if they are known as a fan of one brand but they were talking about US market. Your post is showing global market

well i would hope that when someone or somthing i.e. a company makes claims as too being the best no matter
what area that would be. that they would want to best bar-none. not just the best in a certain area, it's
like a someone who's in sports. i'm sure it's much better to be called the best in world, vs just the best
on your block or city. i for one like to judge my statistics by the world market. that way there is no doubt
who's really the champ.

It is quite interesting but for the rough prediction of the US mobile market. Now it is up to the data or reports created by some experts and analysts. According to a recent report of the International Data Corporation (IDC) it has been observed that Android is leading the mobile market which has covered up to 75% of total market share of mobile OS. IDC also predicts that along with Android, other smart platforms such as iOS, Windows, Blackberry and Symbian will also enhance their market share in the next two years.