What's new

iPhone 5 hairline crack

NeXTphone5

Reaction score
I dropped my caseless iPhone 5 from about 18inches and it has a crack about as wide as a hair and 1cm long. Will this weaken the screen and make it more likely to expand the crack? If I replace my digitizer myself and another hardware problem arises will apple notice I replaced the digitizer?
DO NOT SAY I SHOULD GET A CASE OR GIVE CASE RECOMMENDATIONS

I dropped my caseless iPhone 5 from about 18inches and it has a crack about as wide as a hair and 1cm long. Will this weaken the screen and make it more likely to expand the crack? If I replace my digitizer myself and another hardware problem arises will apple notice I replaced the digitizer?
DO NOT SAY I SHOULD GET A CASE OR GIVE CASE RECOMMENDATIONS

It is possible that the crack will expand, especially if the phone receives another knock. If you decide to replace the digitizer yourself, then yes, Apple will know you replaced it and will void your warranty. The only way to keep your warranty after a screen replacement is to take it in to an Apple store and pay the repair cost. You will then receive a replacement iPhone and the warranty on replacements is 90 days or the remainder of the original warranty, whichever is greater.

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator