What's new

iPhone 5 battery issues

jkharpole

Reaction score
I purchased my iPhone 5 last fall and it worked great. For the past month or so, the battery indicator has been fooling me. It will charge to 100% (using the cable that came with the iPhone) and then slowly go down and stop at 86% or 67% (or currently at 49%). Then at some point when I try to access the phone it is dead. When I plug it into the wall to charge it will take 10 to 12 hours to charge. I have tried multiple hard resets with no relief. I took it back to the store where I purchased it (Marshall Wireless, not an Apple store) and he looked at it, blew some air in the charging port and said he had never heard of the issue. I have my phone in an Otter box case. Has anyone heard of a similar issue? Does Apple monitor this forum?

Thanks in advance,
Joe

I purchased my iPhone 5 last fall and it worked great. For the past month or so, the battery indicator has been fooling me. It will charge to 100% (using the cable that came with the iPhone) and then slowly go down and stop at 86% or 67% (or currently at 49%). Then at some point when I try to access the phone it is dead. When I plug it into the wall to charge it will take 10 to 12 hours to charge. I have tried multiple hard resets with no relief. I took it back to the store where I purchased it (Marshall Wireless, not an Apple store) and he looked at it, blew some air in the charging port and said he had never heard of the issue. I have my phone in an Otter box case. Has anyone heard of a similar issue? Does Apple monitor this forum? Thanks in advance, Joe
If you only purchased it last year, it should still be under warranty. Have you thought about taking it to an Apple Store for a Genius Bar appointment? After running a diagnostic on your phone they determine that the issue is hardware related, you should be offered a free repair or a replacement phone. If the is due is software related, they should be able to help.

BTW, an iPhone can be purchased from any authorized reseller and Apple will honour the warranty. Also, Apple does not monitor this forum, we have no connection whatsoever to Apple. We're just a very large number of iPhone enthusiasts, brought together by our common interest in the iPhone and other Apple products.

Thank you! I guess after the snow storm I'll head to the apple store. I'll post results here after the visit if the thread is not closed then.

I purchased my iPhone 5 last fall and it worked great. For the past month or so, the battery indicator has been fooling me. It will charge to 100% (using the cable that came with the iPhone) and then slowly go down and stop at 86% or 67% (or currently at 49%). Then at some point when I try to access the phone it is dead. When I plug it into the wall to charge it will take 10 to 12 hours to charge. I have tried multiple hard resets with no relief. I took it back to the store where I purchased it (Marshall Wireless, not an Apple store) and he looked at it, blew some air in the charging port and said he had never heard of the issue. I have my phone in an Otter box case. Has anyone heard of a similar issue? Does Apple monitor this forum? Thanks in advance, Joe
I purchased my iPhone 5 in August from Verizon. It was an early upgrade they gave me. I've had no battery issues like that you describe. I also use an Otterbox Defender. I'd take it to Apple like has been suggested and let them check it out.

Sounds like your battery is defective :-(. Get it replaced (if possible)!

Note 3 ~ 5s

My 1st visit to genius bar at the Dove mall ran diagnostics and said the battery was fine. Next step was to restore the iPhone. After making sure I had backups (except my calendar - :-( ) I did a restore. Symptoms were still the same. I tried on-line diag and the iPhone shut down during diag. On-line chat said iPhone looked sick and take it genius. I went to Genius bar at the Galleria. James St. John looked at the phone, looked at the history, ran diagnostics and gave me a new phone. New phone is working fine for almost a week now. I once again loaded the Argus app and will see what happens now.

Thanks for all the responses.