What's new

iphone 5 autofocus problem

edgabimbam

Reaction score
Hello, before Christmas i have bought iphone 5 and not so long time ago saw this issue: When making a video, autofocus isnt working. It works only when i touch the screen.
in this video you can see that it cant autofocus "DILMAH" tea logo, it focuses only after i touch the screen on ~0:22. So it is hardware or software related? is it worth to take to service center? Thanks for the replies

Last edited by a moderator:
My 4s used to auto focus so im pretty sure the 5 will. It has face detection so it focuses on faces so its sure to have auto focus. It would be very poor if it didn't

yea the iphone5 does not have auto focus.

I forgot to add that before taking video, autofocus is working fine, after i start taking video autofocus stops working. It is so annoying to touch screen to make it focus....maybe service center will give replacement

Hmm i would understand if iphone 5 would cost 300 euro or less but when it cost for me 600 euros and cant make atleast decent autofocus then i dont have any words to add... :/

You were told incorrect information, the only way you could make a smartphone autofocus is tap the screen and that is with all the smartphones. just tap two or three times for autofocus and it should work perfectly for your iPhone. An iPhone is ment to be better every year and if my iPhone 3GS could do it I'm sure your iPhone 5 could do it even better!

Many thanks,
Software

You were told incorrect information, the only way you could make a smartphone autofocus is tap the screen and that is with all the smartphones. just tap two or three times for autofocus and it should work perfectly for your iPhone. An iPhone is ment to be better every year and if my iPhone 3GS could do it I'm sure your iPhone 5 could do it even better!

Many thanks,
Software

Emmm my note 2 and s3 can autofocus perfectly without touching the screen And how it can be called AUTOfocus while i need to keep pressing screen? No offence

My iphone 5 auto focuses. Every picture I take it focuses on something stable in the shot.

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

Tapatalk Yo! :)

My iphone 4s had auto focus and so does my note 2 try puttibg the camera on and holding a couple of fingers in front of it. Wait till it focuses on them nd take them away. It will the focus on an object further away like a wall or something. Auto focues doesn't work as well in video though

edgabimbam said:
Emmm my note 2 and s3 can autofocus perfectly without touching the screen And how it can be called AUTOfocus while i need to keep pressing screen? No offence

Well, every smartphone autofocuses automatically when you launch the camera.

Many thanks,
Software

Well, every smartphone autofocuses automatically when you launch the camera.

Many thanks,
Software

Mine auto focuses every time. After I take a picture it auto focused for the next and so on.

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB

"Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down." - Wilson Mizner

I know what autofocus is. Must not have read the OP closely enough to see this was about video. My bad!

iPhoneMommy
~Tech Obsessed Mom~
iPhone 5 - Black - 16GB