What's new

iPhone 4s wont turn back on after using redsnow

deltaf

Reaction score
Hello everyong. I have tried to use redsnow 0.9.9b89 to jailbreak my iphone 4s but i realized too late that it was not meant for the iphone 4s and now my phone just stays black. Does anybody have the same problem or can anybody help me figure this out?

deltaf said:
Hello everyong. I have tried to use redsnow 0.9.9b89 to jailbreak my iphone 4s but i realized too late that it was not meant for the iphone 4s and now my phone just stays black. Does anybody have the same problem or can anybody help me figure this out?

Damn you're up! Good luck lol

Moderation Notice:Edited For Offensive Language, signed iCrank

Last edited by a moderator:

HIYA. try to hold the power and home button at the same time until the APPLE logo shows up and the phone reboots. hope it helps

HIYA. try to hold the power and home button at the same time until the APPLE logo shows up and the phone reboots. hope it helps

Yes I have tried that and it does come back up. But then about 20 min later, when I try to wake up the phone after it is in sleep mode, it stays black and it does not respond to anything. Not even the vibrate button works.

I try to hold the power and home button and sometimes I get a blue, red, or green screen. I sometimes get a "kernel panic" (black screen with a lot of white computer code). And sometimes it does not even come on when I hold the power and home button.

I don't know what to do. I believe it is a software issue. The phone is brand new and I can't believe I spent 600 dollars for something that does not work.

deltaf said:
The phone is brand new and I can't believe I spent 600 dollars for something that does not work.

Your joking right? I believe it worked fine before you decided to try and hack it, no?This is not the phones fault. Your the one who tried to jailbreak it when there is no known jailbreak for the 4s yet. If it was apples fault then you could simply go to the apple store and have them replace it.

Simply connect the phone to iTunes and restore it. There is absolutely no way running redsn0w on a 4S broke the phone beyond anything that a simple restore will not resolve.

Well guys I have restored it like 25 times already. When iTunes tells me to leave the iphone connected that it is going to turn on by itself, it never comes back on. I have to turn it on by holding the power button and the home button at the same time.

iOS 5 works perfectly on the phone, the only problem is that it turns off by itself when it goes to sleep and its not connected to a power source. The only way I can solve this is by leaving a song playing in the background while its sleeping.

I also see in: settings, general, about, diagnostics and usage, diagnostics and usage data, that i get many reports. about 4 say "reset counter" and another says ".panic.plist".

The phone was working fine before I tried to jailbreak it. I didn't realize that there was no jailbreak yet for the 4s.

I don't believe that redsnow is the problem because its just software and if its software, restoring the phone should solve any problems.

If somebody can give me a solution to this problem or if anybody has experienced something similar, i would appreciate some information to help a brother out.

deltaf said:
Well guys I have restored it like 25 times already. When iTunes tells me to leave the iphone connected that it is going to turn on by itself, it never comes back on. I have to turn it on by holding the power button and the home button at the same time.

iOS 5 works perfectly on the phone, the only problem is that it turns off by itself when it goes to sleep and its not connected to a power source. The only way I can solve this is by leaving a song playing in the background while its sleeping.

I also see in: settings, general, about, diagnostics and usage, diagnostics and usage data, that i get many reports. about 4 say "reset counter" and another says ".panic.plist".

The phone was working fine before I tried to jailbreak it. I didn't realize that there was no jailbreak yet for the 4s.

I don't believe that redsnow is the problem because its just software and if its software, restoring the phone should solve any problems.

If somebody can give me a solution to this problem or if anybody has experienced something similar, i would appreciate some information to help a brother out.

I would take it into an Apple store. Don't mention that you tried to jailbreak it and see what they say

Your assumption is the issue at hand. A restore is useless if you re-corrupt it by also restoring your old backup.

I would highly suggest you do a DFU restore. First and foremost, start clean. Delete all iTunes files and the restore files. Then reinstall the latest iTunes and have it redownload 5.0.1. Restore the phone and activate it. Don't restore any apps. Don't restore any settings. Don't restore anything. Use it as a phone for one day. Odds are it will work as expected. After that is successful, then restore your photos, music and contacts. Then test for another day. Then last download each application manually until you have what you need and test again for another day. Odds are every test, if you do what I have explained properly, should pass.

The single largest issue you will have with my instructions is actually taking the time, 3 days, to do this right. If you can't, you will need to look for an answer you like elsewhere.

Your assumption is the issue at hand. A restore is useless if you re-corrupt it by also restoring your old backup.

I would highly suggest you do a DFU restore. First and foremost, start clean. Delete all iTunes files and the restore files. Then reinstall the latest iTunes and have it redownload 5.0.1. Restore the phone and activate it. Don't restore any apps. Don't restore any settings. Don't restore anything. Use it as a phone for one day. Odds are it will work as expected. After that is successful, then restore your photos, music and contacts. Then test for another day. Then last download each application manually until you have what you need and test again for another day. Odds are every test, if you do what I have explained properly, should pass.

The single largest issue you will have with my instructions is actually taking the time, 3 days, to do this right. If you can't, you will need to look for an answer you like elsewhere.

Thank you so much. Will put into practice. I see if it works because sounds very logical and common sense. I believe I am recorrupting the phone so I will start from scratch.

Well after 2 months I still have the same problem. I did a regular restore and a DFU restore and the phone still turns off by itself during sleep when it is not connected to a power source.

This even happens right after I finish restoring phone to factory settings, with no content on it. I just leave it alone and it just becomes unresponsive after 5 seconds in sleep mode. The only way it comes back on is if I press and hold the power button and home button at the same time for 5 seconds.

My guess is that when I tried doing the redsnow jailbreak, it corrupted software that has nothing to do with iOS, but more profound. I am no sure if it is the bootrom or something else because I am not techy. But I have a feeling it cannot be modified or overwritten by doing a regular or DFU restore.

Can anybody tell me if there is any software that can diagnose iphone and see if there is any corruption in the deeper, root level files?

Why didn't you take it back to apple two months ago and not tell them you tried to hack it. Just tell them it doesn't work and you don't know why. They may have given you a brand new one.... And clearly, you need a new one since there is no known fix for this...

Well the bigger problem is that I ordered this phone from ebay and I don't live in the United States. In my country, there is are no Apple stores. That is why my only option is to fix it my self.

I believe there is a solution. I just have to find it. I think that there should be a way to overwrite what was done by redsnow in the first place.

Thanks for the suggestion though.