What's new

iPhone 4s Wifi Randomly greying out and then comes back to normal

Audeath

Reaction score
Hi guyz,
I know that a grey Wifi switch means that theres an hardware problem with the wifi antenna connection. In my situation the wifi works perfectly and then all of a sudden it disconnects, the switch becomes grey and than come back to normal. It can be ok for like an hour or sometimes it keeps doing that repeatedly. Replacing the antenna hasnt solved it so it must be the board connector directly.

Anyone had this problem and have some cue about what to try next? Would be sad to throw an entire board just because of this.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Audeath!

This isn't necessarily a problem with the hardware. Here are a few things to try:

Restart your iPhone. (Turn it off and on again.)

Next step, if this doesn't fix it: Reset Network Settings in Settings - General - Reset. You'll have to set up your Wi-Fi again afterwards.

If your device is not up to date, then update it. iOS 8.3 came with quite a few bug fixes for problems with Wi-Fi.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply! The iOs is up-to-date and i've tried resetting the network settings and even the entire phone to no avail. IS there an App that i could run on the phone for an entire day and that would tell me exactly how many time the connection got lost an all?

Sorry, I don't think there's an app that's able to monitor your Wi-Fi connectivity for a whole day. This would mean the app has to work in the background constantly, and afaik that's not possible.

Did you try connecting to a different network? Maybe it's just a problem with your router.
A reset might also help: press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both, the iPhone will power up on it's own. This procedure won't remove data or change settings.

Hope that helps.

If you're near enough to an Apple Store, have you considered a Genius Bar appointment to have a diagnostic done? This will pinpoint any possible hardware or software problem that could be causing your problem. Genius Bar appointments are free but a time should be reserved in advance to avoid waiting.

Thanks all, i've just abandoned this device and will only keep it for pieces (everything but the logice board) since i do repairs.