What's new

Iphone 4s screen shaking-flickering

matmac

Reaction score
Hello, i just noticed that my screen is shaking.

My problem is like on this video:

First it started on rear camera, now i noticed that when I'm playing it doing like on video. Someone maybe know whats wrong? I think that is something with GPU. If anyone can help I will be glad. (Warranty is over :()

Thanks a lot

I've done full restore etc. and it didn't help, new version of iOS is installed without jb. Problem is with GPU i think. Someone has idea how to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the GPU is failing, it can't be repaired. You'd likely need a new logic board. You may want to enquire what the cost would be. You may also want to consider replacing your phone.

If the GPU is failing, it can't be repaired. You'd likely need a new logic board. You may want to enquire what the cost would be. You may also want to consider replacing your phone.

First thanks for your replay.

What about reballing gpu?

First thanks for your replay.

What about reballing gpu?
Hi OP matmac,

Did you ever go be the root cause & fix solution for this? I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 4 GSM, with only difference to yours being, 1) I changed LCD + Digitizer display assembly, 2) Jailbroke using Redsn0w on iOS6.

But, I don't think Jailbreaking has anything to do with this issue as yours is not JB. Also, the reason I don't think this is GPU related is that it started only with certain apps (camera, LINE Band) then got worse over a week, and now almost all screens/apps are shaking up & down; Even right after reboot, when GPU isn't busy, this immediately shows; lastly, I see increasing Flickering off pixels and all background... So, my best guess is LCD itself went Bad, so I'm about to order a new LCD + Digitizer set to replace and see if that fixes this.

Lastly, here's another Q&A thread FYI that discusses this, and note Phone Doctor Dan saying these types of problems are defective LCD Display issue... Hope this helps and you can fix yours too! I'll try to post up my results after LCD replacement which actually is fairly easy to do like last year when it took me 40 min.

-dealmaster

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I just wanted to quickly follow up and share the solution on this exact same problem.

This "display shaking/flickering" issue has nothing to do with the GPU and everything to do with the LCD Display itself. As I said in my previous posting above, I ended up buying a replacement LCD + Digitizer + Glass assembly for iPhone 4 (for only $0.99 on eBay!) and replaced the old LCD, and volla, the problem went away COMPLETELY!

There are tons of "how to replace iPhone LCD display" videos on YouTube. It's really easy / safe to replace yourself. So, the total cost of repair for me was $0.99 + 40-min of dissemble/replace/re-assemble time.

The sure bet "root cause" sign that it was the LCD itself that went bad and nothing else was this -- If you look at your bad LCD closely in any of the home screens that show the app icons, you'll find vertical lines of pixels lightly flickering (like static noise). The reported flickering/shaking problem is VERY evident initially in certain apps that use the entire LCD pixel array (like Camera, Line BAND, whole screen games, etc.), but this will get worse AND "spread" to other typical apps as LCD deteriorates further... This could easily mislead folks to believe that something else (like GPU) is the cause but it's really the LCD itself...

One last note: My iPhone 4 LCD that went bad was actually already a replaced LCD bought from eBay 1 year ago when I replaced the LCD after the front glass broke. So, this was my 2nd LCD replacement using assembly bought from a different eBay seller (US) -- I'm hoping that this one will last longer this time around!

Now my iPhone 4 is working flawlessly like brand new phone, even after jailbreaking it using RedSn0w (which makes it look just like an iPhone 6!) :)

Hope this helps out some folks out there with the same problem with their iPhones... Peace!

-dealmaster