What's new

iPhone 4s is 'ever blocked' - Help required

CallumJH

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I have a question that I think you guys are best suited to answer.

I recently brought a iPhone 4s on ebay (seller is reputable so I reckon I can easily get a refund). The box was unopened and it was as you'd buy in a shop. However, I thought i'd double check, so I payed for a check mend report which produced the following:

Ever blocked CheckMEND has a record of this item having been blocked by a cell phone network

Currently blocked CheckMEND has a record that this item is currently blocked by one or more cell phone networks

All the other reports check mend completed were fine.

If somebody could provide me with some clarity on the matter, it would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Callum :)

Hmm strange if it was sealed up? Unless it has been Tampered with check the imei on the phone matches the box

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

The ebayer said he had two, one unopened and one opened (just to check the contents apparently).

What does 'ever blocked' mean, though? I'm waiting to no more before I have my three sim card cut into a micro sim.

I checked the IMEI numbers and they are both the same..

After looking at their sample report, it appears that "ever blocked" means it was blocked in the past. Current block means it is blocked now. I would guess that if it was designated "ever blocked" but then current block was clear...that would mean it was a billing issue that was cleared up for example.

http://www.checkmend.com/uk/pdf/checkmendReport.pdf

If everything else is OK, then maybe it wasn't stolen, but I would guess there is a billing problem with the seller.

Yes, I did look at the check mend explinations that you linked, but it doesn't help too much (I'm a bit slow when it comes to technology :eek:)

The report said it is is ever blocked and currently blocked. What would this indicate?

After looking at their sample report, it appears that "ever blocked" means it was blocked in the past. Current block means it is blocked now. I would guess that if it was designated "ever blocked" but then current block was clear...that would mean it was a billing issue that was cleared up for example.

http://www.checkmend.com/uk/pdf/checkmendReport.pdf

If everything else is OK, then maybe it wasn't stolen, but I would guess there is a billing problem with the seller.

Thanks for your reply.

Billing issue? Does the check mend report indicate that the 'billing issue' has been sorted? If so, could I still use the iPhone 4s? Apologies if I sound a bit needy, I just want to know everything because if something is wrong, I want my refund.

Many thanks.

If the report says that it's currently blocked...then no the issue is not resolved. If the report does not indicate that it was lost or stolen, I cannot think of anything else other than that there is a problem with a bill.

If it's blocked, I don't see how you can use the phone, but others with more experience with unlocking phones and jailbreaking phones might be able to help.

If it is network blocked there is nothing you can do have you even tried the phone to see if it will accept your sim card and make a call if it won't it's blocked and you cant use it in the country your in try it if so make a case on eBay for a return & refund then purchase another sounds fishy to me

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Hi,

"Currently blocked" means exactly that. One of the networks (from 36 countries) that contributes to the shared blacklist has placed a block on the phone's IMEI and at the moment of the report, that block is still in force. In the UK that means it will not work on any network. Networks abroad or considerably less rigorous. If you buy or are considering buying a phone that is blocked then we recommend you obtain a refund. There is no sure way of knowing where in the world it might still work.

"Ever been blocked" is only worth taking notice of if the phone is not currently blocked. Clearly if it is blocked now then it has been blocked in its lifetime so you will never see a currently blocked status without it also saying ever blocked. It may have been blocked in its lifetime though but the block (or blocks) have been removed meaning it works right now but you should ask any seller for more information and steer clear if you don't like the answers! If you are being told the phone is new but it has been blocked in its lifetime then it is simply not new. This doesn't mean the seller is dishonest necessarily but it does mean they don't know their business too well and that's a good reason to stay clear.

Unlocking (which just allows you to use a phone on any network rather than the one it was sold for) and jailbreaking (that lets you install non-apple software) won't help since these things do not change the IMEI Number.

Changing the IMEI number, while possible on some phones is referred to as "reprogramming". Carrying out or offering to carry out imei reprogramming is a criminal offence in the United Kingdom under the Telecommunications Act and carries serious penalties.

Other commenters here are quite right. Check the imei matches the box and what's programmed in the phone (key *#06# on the keypad to see it). If that matches and the CheckMEND report is not clean and green then ask the seller awkward questions and be prepared to seek a refund if you are not satisfied.

Hope this helps. Thanks for using CheckMEND.

I AM AFFILIATED TO CHECKMEND :)