What's new

Iphone 4s 5.1.1 question

squirt

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm "squirt" I'm new here and have a quick question I jailbroke my Iphone 4s with Absinthe and its currently running version ios 5.1.1 when I try to download a program that lets SIRI "Launch" your programs by simpmply asking her to for example "Launch Ebay" Siri keeps responding I'd be glad to do that if you would upgrade your IOS to the most current version.I don't want to mess something up is it ok to upgrade to the 6.1.2 right on my phone and not go through itunes or will they ask me connect to itunes once I start? I have had the lil #1 notification on my Settings Icon under general as well for awhile now telling me to upgrade. I probably posted this in the wrong section sorry as I said its my 1st post. I am definetly new to this site and fairly new (only 1-2 months) of learning about jailbroken phones and what I can do with them etc. Thank You

Where are you trying to download the SIRI launch program from?

You can update your 4S to iOS 6.1.2 right now... as that iOS version is Jailbreakable via software from www.evasi0n.com. I do believe redsn0w & sn0wbreeze have been updated recently as well w/ support of the evasi0n Untether exploit.

Before updating it's always advised to create a Backup via iTunes... and a backup of your Cydia tweaks/packages. To update you'll need to place your 4S in DFU mode... then hit the Restore button via iTunes. That'll get you up to iOS 6.1.2.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question I really appreciate it!

Trying to download it from Cydia it's called "OpenSiri" 0.1.1-1 the author is "BigBoss"

Last edited:
This probably sounds dumb I told you I'm fairly new to all this sorry...do I unisntall the cydia before updating through the DFU itunes process and how do I back up my Cydia tweaks and packages is there a feature for that within Cydia THANKS SO MUCH!!

Nope... no need to uninstall anything. DFU mode... then restore. There's a couple different JB backups available via Cydia.. PkgBackup is one I can think of right off hand. There are others though.

Nope... no need to uninstall anything. DFU mode... then restore.

So I can leave the icon for Cydia and the program itself for Cydia the way it is and just put it in DFU mode thats it? Just one last double check before I do it thanks again like I said I was under the impression I had to "HIDE" any SIGNS that i used or am using Cydia when messing with itunes...I guess DFU mode takes care of that for me. Thank you I'll let you know how I make out after I get this final response here that this is correct I appreciate everything!!

You don't need to hide Cydia or anything when using DFU mode. The whole point of DFU mode is to bypass any software limitations on your device that can prevent it from being upgraded normally. This is a failsafe way of completely wiping your device. Hiding it and not hiding Cydia doesn't make a difference when restoring since it doesn't look and say "Oh look, you have Cydia in there, I'm not going to restore your device now because it's there." It just wipes. No questions asked. No precautionary measures needed.

OH OK thanks I see its basically like when I completely wiped out my old iphone i sold on ebay I hit reset all content and settings from my reset menu on my phone and wiped out everything before selling it (after doing a complete backup from itunes to my PC) Do you know if doing this through DFU mode I will also wipe out my APN settings? See I am running this 5.1.1 jailbroken phone on the Straight Talk network with a (AT&T ST compatible) sim card in it. And when I first set that up I had to buy a T-mobile sim and do a fast SIM SWAP in order to get the celluar network menu back to put in the correct APN settings for MMS etc to work since that menu was HIDDEN. Then once I did that I put my Apple ID in and went to the App store and re-installed all my purchased apps will I have to do all this over again then jailbreak with the Evasion my main fear is those darn APN settings thats why I have been sitting here staying in 5.1.1 JB . Thanks for any help as to this my last worry I really appreciate everyones help!!

DO NOT use "Reset All Settings" on a Jailbroken iPhone. This will make restoring the iPhone 10x's more of a pain than you could imagine. Put the iPhone in DFU mode & restore via iTunes.