What's new

iPhone 4 Video Chat - Won't use Minutes

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
facetime.jpg

The all new Facetime video chat feature is definitely one of the coolest improvements in the iPhone 4. According to a recent article on BusinessInsider.com, Facetime video calls won't use any of your on-air minutes. The video chat app requires you to be connected to a Wi-Fi network in order to work.

"The voice call ends as soon as the FaceTime call connects," Apple tells us. "The FaceTime call is over Wi-Fi so does not use carrier minutes."
You'll be able to initiate a video call from within a voice call, but as soon as it's switches to Facetime,the voice call is dropped and Wi-Fi takes over. Apple is currently working with carriers to develop a method to use Facetime over 3G, but nothing has been announced yet.

Source: Apple: FaceTime Video Calls Won't Use Your Carrier Minutes

facetime.jpg

The all new Facetime video chat feature is definitely one of the coolest improvements in the iPhone 4. According to a recent article on BusinessInsider.com, Facetime video calls won't use any of your on-air minutes. The video chat app requires you to be connected to a Wi-Fi network in order to work.

"The voice call ends as soon as the FaceTime call connects," Apple tells us. "The FaceTime call is over Wi-Fi so does not use carrier minutes."
You'll be able to initiate a video call from within a voice call, but as soon as it's switches to Facetime,the voice call is dropped and Wi-Fi takes over. Apple is currently working with carriers to develop a method to use Facetime over 3G, but nothing has been announced yet.

Source: Apple: FaceTime Video Calls Won't Use Your Carrier Minutes

That will be really good news when other carriers start having FaceTime as well. But for now, any other AT&T customer I call doesn't use minutes either and if I use Skype on WiFi it doesn't use minutes. So, other than FaceTime being really cool, that doesn't really add a perk at this time.

thats what i love about it its like using skype over wifi.. the nokian97 i was able to use the front cam for skype calls and it worked. but the quality was ** and i was always thinking i wish i can use the front camera and its 5mp camera.. though bad quality on the nokia, apple allows you to do it :DDD i cant wait to try it out

has anyone been able to use skype with the new iphone4 with the front facing camera? I was able to use the skype app - it made the call.. but showed no images.. ??

Please skype we want to use video chat and we want you to run in the background! lol

i was wondering about that, because you have to make calls and then activate then request facetime., i was wondering about if it used up credit, they should make it so you can just do a facetime call instead of have to ring first and make a normal call

You can make a Facetime call directly. The first one you make to a particular number may require the cellular network, I'm not sure of that but once you made a connection once, the phone remembers that number. Try this. Go to the contacts page of the person you want to Facetime. Scroll down to the bottom and you will see a block labeled Facetime. Press it and all the numbers you have for this person will be shown. The one you have previously made a Facetime call to will show up with a camera and the words Facetime. Press it and you will hear beeps from your phone. If the other person accepts your Facetime video call it will connect. I know it does not need the cellular network because I've done it quite a few times in Airplane Mode with Wi Fi turned on but no cellular network and it works. Been discussed in other threads. Give it a try.

Alex

one day when they add facetime officially over 3g then it probably will use up your minutes, i can see att saying all those who have used a 3 g un restrictor to facetime must pay up

Hi, I just joined & have 1 question about Skype on iPhone,
The voice quality over mobile data package is very low, cannot make video call, not even voice call thru mobile 3G connection, thru wifi it works with some disturbance, I have reinstalled Skype apps & rebooted my iPhone but the problem remain same, pls. Help me out of this issue,