What's new

iPhone 4 Survives More Than a Year at the Bottom of a Lake

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPhone survives one year on lake bed.JPG

BuzzFeed News reports that a Knox, Pennsylvania, man is about to be reunited with an iPhone 4 that fell into an icy lake back in March 2015 when he was ice fishing.

“We were having negative 25-degree weather, so me and two buddies went ice fishing,” Michael Guntrum told BuzzFeed News. “We were sitting in our portable shanty, and I got a bite on my rod. I laid the phone on my lap, and it slipped off. Instead of landing flat in the snow, it hit its edge and rolled into the hole. I caught the fish—it was a blue gill—but it wasn’t worth it.”

And that was that, thought Guntrum, until Kyle Lake, the final resting place for the iPhone, was drained in September 2015 due to structural deficiencies with its dam. Then, in October 2016 the phone was discovered under 6 inches of mud by mechanical engineer, Daniel Kalgren, who was using his metal detector in the drained lake basin to look for treasure.

“I took the phone home, cleaned it, and put it in rice—just out of curiosity to see if it would still work,” Kalgren explained to BuzzFeed News. “It was the only thing I found that day. I was able to turn it on and use it to look up his number. He knows I have it now, and I’m going to mail it to him.”

After Kagren contacted him, Guntrum said that he didn’t believe it at first that the found had been recovered and was still working. “I had just been talking about that lake early that day. It was eerie. He sent me a picture and asked, ‘Does this look familiar?’ and I recognized the screensaver.”

As to how the phone managed to survive at the bottom of a lake for more than a year, Kalgren said it could have been down to the OtterBox 4 iPhone 4 case. He added that he keeps his own iPhone 6s in a LifeProof case. “I don’t know if my current phone would survive at the bottom of a 30-degree lake through a full winter. I’d like to think it would. I’m an Apple person, and this adds to the reasons why I only buy Apple devices.

“It never ceases to amaze us, all the incredible iPhone survival stories our customers have shared with us,” commented an Apple spokesperson on the story.

Guntrum said that he plans to give the resurrected iPhone to his mom when it is returned to him.

Photo credit: Daniel Kalgren

Source: https://www.buzzfeed.com/blakemontg...rks?bftwnews&utm_term=.paOYZBmO1e#.qkzJmj2Zwr