What's new

iphone 4 sound problems

stuart700

Reaction score
I have a problem with my iphone 4.
I have some apps which play sounds just fine but others don’t play at all.
What is really strange is that some of the apps were working fine like video on BBC news but now nothing.
I was using itranslate this morning and while I was using it the sound stopped.
I have closed all apps that were on in the background, but still no joy.
Anyone got any Ideas how to fix this?
stuart700:confused:

Try a reboot. Hold the home and lock/sleep button until you see the apple logo. If that doesn't work do a restore in iTunes...

Try a reboot. Hold the home and lock/sleep button until you see the apple logo. If that doesn't work do a restore in iTunes...

Me again, gaz... Does the "restore" function in iTunes completely overwrite your current firmware version on top of the one on the phone already, or does it simply convert the phone to factory default specs? And.... I assume that if it converts to factory default specs, you would lose everything and the phone would be as when you first got it at the ATT store, right?

Yes, still learning......!

There are two types of restore. The first is just a simple restore that resets your phone as it was out of the box when it was new. You can also restore from a back up which does exactly the same thing but has the additional step of loading back all your settings and data (apps, photos, music etc) back on to the phone. If you choose restore from back up you shouldn't notice any difference with your phone unless you were having problems with it such as above.

Both types of restore either, as you said, overwrite the firmware or completely remove it then reinstall it to the phone. I'm not sure which. Just like removing windows from your of then putting it back on. Also restoring will automatically update you to the latest firmware unless you know all about SHSH blobs... (which you should ;))

There are two types of restore. The first is just a simple restore that resets your phone as it was out of the box when it was new.

Also restoring will automatically update you to the latest firmware unless you know all about SHSH blobs... (which you should ;))

Thanks gaz.... Now, about the Restore you mention above -- the one that resets to factory defaults. Is this an "optional" Restore within iTunes, whereby I can "select" this type, or the "other" type, of Restore that you wrote about? In other words, is there a clear choice in the type of Restore within iTunes? Additionally, you mentioned that ALL Restore functions reload the firmware. Yikes! So if I do a factory Restore, will it download the latest (4.2) firmware version onto the phone or can I choose to keep my tried-and-true version 4.1??

Thanks again. New Year's Resolution: I'll not bother you as often with all these questions!! Maybe....

(shsh blobs.... I'll never get over this!!)

When you choose restore in iTunes it wipes everything off your phone then puts the latest firmware on your phone (currently 4.2.1). After iTunes has finished restoring it will ask you if you want to restore from a backup or set up as new phone. Restoring from a backup puts all your settings and things back on your phone. Like what wallpaper and ringtone you had selected. The other option is self explanatory.

When you restore you have no option to choose which version you like. It HAS to be the latest version. Unless you have SHSH's...

Last edited:
When you choose restore in iTunes it wipes everything off your phone then puts the latest firmware on your phone (currently 4.2.1)...

Understand, thanks.

Do YOU have 4.2.1 on your iPhone, and if so, do you notice ANY problems? I have 4.1, as you probably figured out, and it's flawless. I never wish to "upgrade."

I upgraded a couple of weeks ago after getting my iPod touch. It was already on 4.2.1 so just made them both the same. Not encountered any problems so far. Missing the jailbreak :(

Before apple release an update it's tested quite throughly so rarely has problems. That's why the current version is 4.2.1 and not 4.2. Apple found a bug in testing with the wifi so fixed it before releasing it to the public. Of course nobody's perfect. On 4.1 there is a rather easy way of getting past the passcode lock on your phone which has been fixed in the 4.2.1 update...

Before apple release an update it's tested quite throughly so rarely has problems. That's why the current version is 4.2.1 ...

OK, and one final queston: if I delay updating my firmware version for many months, can I update to the latest version at that future time or must I install all the previous past versions before the most recent?

In other words, is the latest version always cumulative?

The latest version is the only one you can install. So if you don't install 4.2.1 and 4.3 comes out then you won't be able to install 4.2.1, only 4.3...