What's new

iPhone 4 screen/display

Mexine

Reaction score
Hello everyone - I am newbie so if I touch on a subject that has already been covered, I apologize. I got my new iPhone in november and yesterday it started 'playing up' and it continues today. What happens is that the bottom part of the display is cut off about 3mm (1/8 inch) at the bottom regardless of what you are doing. If for example, I try to dial a number on the keypad pad, the icons at the bottom are cut off, and there is no left margin at all in my contact lists and sometimes even the first letter is cut off.
It seems that the pictures on the display don't fit on screen. Even when a page sometimes opens correctly if seems to 'correct' itself to the bigger, larger cropped off display.

So what is going on....the only unusual thing I did yesterday was turning off the mobile because I went to the cinema. Then I turned it on later and noticed these strange croppings. I am grateful for any suggestion that you may have.
Thanks in advance. (sooooo worried.....I love my new phone::confused:)

Last edited:
Sounds like a trip to the Apple store is in order, sorry to say, However, try this first.
Try a reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears, release buttons. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices.

Can't hurt to try!

If that doest work try a restore in iTunes before taking it back to apple it's what they will try anyway...

Thanx for yr replies and suggestions - gaz and pocobear....I tried the reboot kind of thing. Did it twice but nothing happened.

Then I was going to do 'restore' on itunes but I am not sure what information might be deleted or may disappear from my phone if I do it. Do you know?

I am very unhappy about this - I live in Portugal and anything that you want to have done will take up to 1 to 2 months! I do have a backup Nokia mobile but - nevertheless it is sad to start to have someone fiddle with my new phone!

Hmmmmmm

iTunes will automatically back up everything on your phone when you restore. You will have to resync things like apps and music...

Thanx for yr replies and suggestions - gaz and pocobear....I tried the reboot kind of thing. Did it twice but nothing happened.

Then I was going to do 'restore' on itunes but I am not sure what information might be deleted or may disappear from my phone if I do it. Do you know?

I am very unhappy about this - I live in Portugal and anything that you want to have done will take up to 1 to 2 months! I do have a backup Nokia mobile but - nevertheless it is sad to start to have someone fiddle with my new phone!

Hmmmmmm
---------------
Jan 30 - 2011 - Well I went to the Vodafone store where they said it probably had to do with updating of the software. So I went to the Vodafone tech store at the other end of town...Well - said the tech guy,,,this is just a zoom feature. He put three fingers together and tapped on the display twice! EUREKA. I didn't feel stupid because no one else knew about this. Heh, heh....enjoy your iPhone (4). Mexine

Glad you got it sorted.

You will be surprised how often this exact thing happenes. I don't know how as the zoom feature needs to be turned on first.

To avoid it in future you can turn the zoom feature off in settings > general > accessibility...