What's new

iPhone 4 Reception Fix for 1 Cent

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone4-antenna-fix.jpg

If you have the iPhone 4 and you are worried about holding the phone properly (something you shouldn't have to worry about, IMHO) and you don't want to spend the money on a case, what should you do? Well if you've been having reception issues due to grounding out the antenna, then we have a solution for you.

1. Get about an inch of scotch tape off the reel (that's Sellotape if you're in the U.K.).
  2. Cut it carefully so that you make a rectangle something over a half-inch long and just tall enough to exceed the iPhone 4's height (about 0.4 inches should do it).
  3. Align the piece of tape so that it's covering a section of the lower left metal side of the iPhone 4, some below the thin black plastic line and some above.
  4. Stick it around the phone's metal edge, making sure that all of the back of the edge's metal strip is covered--you may even be able to leave the front uncovered, as it's the back where your hand will rest. The main thing is to ensure that it's unlikely that your palm will touch the metal on both sides of the black plastic line.

Total cost? About 1 penny worth of materials that you likely already have laying around.

Courtesy: Fast Company

nice, thanks for the tip. and it actually helps?

I think if you do a good job with the tape and it's thick enough to stop the your body from conducting/shorting out the metal you'll give an increase in reception.

I hope this whole deal is really a software issue like apple says, because i really don't feel like wrapping any expensive device with scotch tape :D

But thanks for the tip lol