What's new

iPhone 4 puts box around apps instead of activating them.

ifoney

Reaction score
Has anyone had this problem? When I slide my finger across the screen to go to my second page of apps nothing happens. If I tap an app to activate it, a square appears around the app but it does not activate. Sometimes it activates after tapping it 2 or 3 times but the apps generally do not actually operate. For instance if I tap on the Phone app the box appears. Then I tap 2 or 3 more times and it goes to the heppad screen but then I have to tap the numbers 2 or 3 times. The phone has really become a useless device.

What phone is it? Try a soft reset (push hold power button and home button untill the device reboot and you see the apple logo on the screen)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What phone is it? Try a soft reset (push hold power button and home button untill the device reboot and you see the apple logo on the screen)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is an iPhone 4. I went to AT&T and they advised me to upgrade the software. I did reset it, then I synced again and did and upgrade. The symptom is exactly unchanged.

Make a fresh restore of the iOS. After that do not restore your backup imediately, use it simple like the way it was when out of the box for a day at least to see if the error is still there or not. If the error is not there after a fresh restore, it means that you probably have a currupted file in you backup file.

Try backing everything up on your itunes then taking it back to factory settings, completely erasing everything, do a reset and then reinstall your backup which will restore all your apps and stuff and see if that works

It turned out to be in "BLIND" mode. I had somebody call me and the iPhone began speaking to me, telling me to press the answer button... which I had to hit several times to answer the phone...weird but it got me thinking that it was a settings problem.

I ended up bringing it to the Apple Store. The tech saw the boxes form around the icons and said he had never seen such a thing, but when I said the phone kept repeating "Answer Button" it dawned on him and he used a system of 3 taps to walk into settings and accessibility to set it back to normal mode.

Haaa so it was all about accessibility... But question, who change the settings in accessibility? You did it and forget to set it back to default?

Very interesting!!!! Another lesson learned..

I must have triggered the accessibility settings and activated it through a series of pocket type dial activity. I know... pathetic, but when I think my phone is off who know what buttons get hit when you are engaged in other stuff. Kinda like a little mindless air guitar on some control panel keyboard. It was good that I didn't lanch any missiles I guess.

YAY!!! thanks so much ifoney, for sharing how u fixed the problem coz i thought my phone was dead forever coz i got some liquid into it and my friend managed to restore it today but the box problem was still there and now i've managed to FIX that...sooo happy to have my phone working again :)))

how did you get to accessibility in settings? i have the same problem but it wont let me scroll down in settings!