What's new

iPhone 4 Pricing and Ordering Information

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iphone4other.jpg
Buying a new iPhone -- or any phone on contract, for that matter -- can be a harrowing experience filled with legalese, unexpected expenses, nail-biting, and signatures that commit you to a solid 24 months of loyalty. Both AT&T and Apple have released all the particulars on getting a brand-spanking-new iPhone 4, whether you're a new AT&T customer or you're coming in for an upgrade -- but in an effort to prevent any last-minute drama on the 24th, let's break it down in one spot, shall we?

If you're new to AT&T or you're adding an additional line, you'll pay $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB one, assuming you're comfortable with signing a two-year contract. If you'd like to keep yourself out of contract so you can leave at any time you like, you're looking at $599 for 16GB or $699 for 32GB.

iphone-4-pricing-chart.jpg
What if you sign the contract and decide to ditch out in the middle of it? You'll pay $325 minus $10 times the number of months you've been in the contract in penalty fees. For example, if you're ten months into your iPhone 4 contract and you decide to jump ship, you'll pay $225 to leave. If you bought a 32GB iPhone 4 for the subsidized price of $299, that means you will have effectively paid $524 for it (not including the cost of your monthly plan over the course of those ten months, of course).

Interestingly, this means that you could theoretically save $75 on the no-commitment price of the 16GB model by buying it subsidized and breaking your contract immediately (excluding fees), but unless you're insistent on unlocking the phone immediately (assuming there's a reliable unlock available) and taking it to T-Mobile to use with 2G service alone, there probably isn't much logic in doing that. The break-even point on the 32GB model comes after three months, when your total cost for the subsidized phone plus ETF will be $594 -- once again, excluding fees and the cost of your plan.

If you're upgrading a line of AT&T service that you already have, the situation is a little bit more complicated, but AT&T has made it about as painless as possible. The first thing you need to do is confirm whether you're eligible for what AT&T refers to as the "new activation" price -- this is the same price you'd pay as though you were a new customer coming in off the street, and it's usually the best price a carrier offers on a phone. AT&T's extended eligibility by six months to many of its current customers, so make sure you check! You've got three options:
  • Visit AT&T's website. From there, you'll log into your account and click on the "Check Upgrade Options" link.
  • Dial *639# on your current AT&T phone. In a few seconds, you'll get a reply text message telling you what's up -- whether you're eligible, or if not, the date on which you will be.
  • Call customer service. No offense to AT&T's call center reps, but we'd use this as a last resort.
It's important to note that your upgrade eligibility date is not necessarily your contract expiration date -- in fact, the two are only tangentially related -- so you can't assume that buying a phone from AT&T since June 24, 2008 takes you out of the game. The way AT&T calculates upgrade eligibility dates is a closely-guarded secret that involves your monthly spending, the length of time you've been with the carrier and other mysterious factors, but we've been told by an AT&T spokesman that iPhone customers who spend at least $99 a month can generally expect upgrade eligibility to come every 12 to 18 months. In this case, though, the company has pulled ahead any existing iPhone customer who'd previously had an upgrade date in 2010 so that they can get the best $199 / $299 pricing on the iPhone 4.

You may also be required to pay what AT&T calls an "upgrade fee" of $18. Like the upgrade eligibility date, the way AT&T determines whether you've got to shell it out isn't publicly divulged; we're just told that it involves the length of the contract, the customer's payment history, monthly spend, and so on.

If you're not eligible for an upgrade, not all hope is lost; you could either add another line of service (assuming you pass the credit check) or pay what AT&T calls the "early upgrade" price. It's more than the new activation price, but it's still better than the full price of $599 / $699 -- the only downside is that your current contract is extended to a full two years again from the date of your purchase. This early upgrade pricing comes in at $200 more than the $199 / $299, which means you'll pay $399 for the 16GB iPhone 4 or $499 for the 32GB version.

Source: Engadget

Many every time I see the iPhone 4 I get all excited!
Im getting the white one, I have never owned an iphone before, but I do have an iPod touch and I seriously cant wait to get my dirty hands on ma new iphone4!!!!!

Last edited:
I was really wanting the white but ended up reserving a black 32B at Best Buy. But if I hear when the white one is going to be released by the 24th, then I will switch my reservation for the white.

Last edited:
I was really wanting the white but ended up reserving a black 32B at Best Buy. But if I hear when the white one is going to be released by the 24th, then I will switch my reservation for the white.

really? but will the white be available for then? will they let you switch or will you have to end up waiting longer for the phone? imo the white did not look as good as the black but thats just pics online i bet it looks ok in person, but would you be willing to wait extra days mayb even weeks for it? i doubt weeks but who knows

I've been looking at pictures again of the two and think I'll end up staying with black. Also having the black sides around the screen when watching videos or looking at pictures will be better than the white.

I was told the iPhone will be shipped over nigth to my house.
Then I watch on the news that the pre ord will get them in July!!!???
Wants going on !????!!!
anyone have any clear ans??!!
What should I do.
I want it sooner not latter that's why I pre ord them

I was told the iPhone will be shipped over nigth to my house.
Then I watch on the news that the pre ord will get them in July!!!???
Wants going on !????!!!
anyone have any clear ans??!!
What should I do.
I want it sooner not latter that's why I pre ord them

huh?:S from where did you pre order?

The nice thing about the upgrade is we got to keep the unlimited data plan. We didn't have to pick either the 200Mb or 2GB plan. The downfall of that is you can not do tethering with the unlimited plan. I am hoping down the road, they will allow tethering with the unlimited plan, everything always seems to evolve and change if you are willing to wait just a bit.

just how much do you use on the cell phone per month? i think 2GB would be plenty

Well we are canceling our home Internet service so we will probably each use close to 2 or 3 GB per month. So we need the unlimited.

really? cancelling home net for cell phone net?? i would rather live with out cell phone net if i had to chose one

For the amount of time we are home it just isn't worth the $60 a month. Also we can both get Internet access on our laptops at work or even a local coffee shop or McDonalda for free if we have to use a computer. Also, depending on our needs one of us may pay for tethering then we can connect thru our phone at home.

ah yes tethering, good idea. wont be very fast but why pay for two connections when you only need the one