What's new

Iphone 4 NEVER been jailbroken, error 21, won't restore?

You could always try redsn0w's fix recovery mode...

Download redsn0w from here - Dev-Team Blog - redsn0w iOS5beta

Run the application, switch to the "Extras" menu, press "Fix Recovery" and follow the instructions on screen...

Note - This will NOT jailbreak your device.

Used a stopwatch, started at 25 seconds. At the 15 second mark I let go of the power button LIKE you said.

At 8 seconds left, it made that sound, and at 0 it did nothing new. At that 8 second mark is when it pops up "in recovery mode"

They make it way too difficult to do things, and I don't even comprehend redsn0ws thing

Dangit, that's it? Could it possibly be a hardware issue? I need to get this working :(

get into dfu mode on redsnow....and it goes to a white screen "please wait while your build is being processed"

Then keeps doing the apple logo, then off, then on, then off...

WTF....:/

would not having a sim in it be a problem?

Last edited:
Tried again...now getting error code 1602. Which I read means that it's an old firmware? But it's actually 5.0.1 I'm trying to restore and update to :/

Hello everyone,

I have exactly the same problem. I have been thru the guide, and i am sure I did everything correct, but still error 21. FYI I have a brand new Iphone 4s which have not even switched on for the first time. From the beginning its creating me the same problem.

engdpali said:
Hello everyone,

I have exactly the same problem. I have been thru the guide, and i am sure I did everything correct, but still error 21. FYI I have a brand new Iphone 4s which have not even switched on for the first time. From the beginning its creating me the same problem.

Why do you need to restore a new iPhone 4S which has never been turned on?

Because just flicking the apple logo and would not start. I plug it in my laptop and directly itunes opened and a message that restore and update is needed came up.

engdpali said:
Because just flicking the apple logo and would not start. I plug it in my laptop and directly itunes opened and a message that restore and update is needed came up.

That is not normal for a new 4S. It may be faulty if it will not restore. Consider returning it.

This is what I ll do. Just it will take more than 15 days in order to get it back as they told me. I am a bit frustrated because I have received a brand new phone with a "defect" as it seems and they do not even want to replace it with a new one.