What's new

Iphone 4 jailbreak questions

Badrotty

Reaction score
Hi all , I have been wanting to jailbreak my phone for sometime but I do find a lot of this confusing to understand.
Before I start I have a few questions
My phone is an iphone 4
I currently have 6.0.1 installed
I dont think I have backed up my phone for a very long time. Should I do a backup now or should I upgrade to the latest update and then do a backup
Trying to understand this blob thing and signing thing and want to do it right the first time
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Download tiny umbrella and save your shsh blobs for future downgrading (you never know). Then back up your iPhone and upgrade to the latest iOS. Download evasi0n, while the iPhone is plugged into your computer run the evasi0n jailbreak. You will be prompted at some point to click on the evasi0n icon on your iPhone. After a few minutes it ill be done. Then you can restore from your last back up.

Hi all , I have been wanting to jailbreak my phone for sometime but I do find a lot of this confusing to understand.
Before I start I have a few questions
My phone is an iphone 4
I currently have 6.0.1 installed
I dont think I have backed up my phone for a very long time. Should I do a backup now or should I upgrade to the latest update and then do a backup
Trying to understand this blob thing and signing thing and want to do it right the first time
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Backup using iTunes. Perform a fresh restore to iOS 6.1 on your device, restore the device from the backup you made, run Evasi0n, follow the single physical instruction when prompted to, boom. You don't need blobs to upgrade to the latest iOS. Blobs are only used when you're downgrading or restoring an iOS that's no longer being signed. iOS 6.1 is the latest iOS, it's jailbreakable and it's still being signed, so you don't need blobs

I'm gonna post a question on here since I don't think I should start a new thread since my Q is so similar. Sorry for the thread jack OP

But I currently have an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1. I want to jailbreak it but do I have to restore and upgrade to ios6 in order for me to JB? I'd like to keep my 5.1.1 if I could...

SupaDude, you can use iFaith to dump your SHSH before upgrading. If the device is already jailbroken on 5.1.1, chances are you already have the SHSH saved, check Cydia or TinyUmbrella to make sure.

SupaDude, you can use iFaith to dump your SHSH before upgrading. If the device is already jailbroken on 5.1.1, chances are you already have the SHSH saved, check Cydia or TinyUmbrella to make sure.

It's not jailbroken yet though. Forgot to mention, my bad.

Is there a step by step guide where I can follow so I don't mess up from SHSH dump to jailbreaking?

How does the SHSH dumping fit into all of this though?Sorry, new to all of this.

Do I download iFaith, save my blobs..? backup, restore, upgrade to ios 6, jailbreak, then use iFaith to retrieve said blobs?

SupaDupe said:
How does the SHSH dumping fit into all of this though?Sorry, new to all of this.

Do I download iFaith, save my blobs..? backup, restore, upgrade to ios 6, jailbreak, then use iFaith to retrieve said blobs?

While it's recommended you save your blobs for possible future use, you don't need then to execute the actual jailbreak. You do, however, have to upgrade to iOS 6 before starting.

If you are currently jailbroken, you may wish to follow this tutorial to install iOS 6 on to your iPhone. Failsafe method to restore the current version of iOS

scifan57, iPhone Forums Moderator

Last edited:
The SHSH are only necessary if you want to downgrade back to 5.1.1 at some point in the future. Just dump them some place safe on your computer and then you can restore 6.1 and use evasi0n to jailbreak.

The SHSH are only necessary if you want to downgrade back to 5.1.1 at some point in the future. Just dump them some place safe on your computer and then you can restore 6.1 and use evasi0n to jailbreak.

Right, I assume I can't go have my phone be in 5.1.1 while jailbroken in ios 6?

Also, will my messages still be available after i backup then restore/jb?

As long as your device is a pre-A5 device, you can upgrade or downgrade your iOS at anytime. The thing about the iOS 6 downgrade to iOS 5 downgrade is that you have to manually backup everything because you cannot use an iOS 6 backup on an iOS 5 device even though it's the same device. You can use an iOS 5 on an iOS 6 upgrade, but the same is not true for downgrades.