What's new

iPhone 4 Battery Life

tintin

Reaction score
Hi All,

I own iPhone4 with iOS5 installed recently. My phone is working perfectly. I never had any issues with my battery and its features. I have one query regarding iPhone4 battery life. I have purchased this phone 1 year back. It is factory unlocked. How many years iPhone4 battery will run? What is the life time of iPhone4 battery? Can any one answer my query?

Thanks in advance
tintin

Several threads on here regarding the battery life of the 4S... and the 4 that's upgraded to iOS 5. Check out the "Search" box and it'll never lead you astray. :)

Hi kobelup,

Its great info. Thanks very much.

tintin.

Hi folk
I joined just to talk about battery life, I am getting frustrated because there seems to be some kind of bug in the system that causes increased wifi or 3G data coms activity, what I mean is, one minute every thing is fine and you are getting at least 24 hour battery life and then suddenly it just starts to discharge in about 5 hours.
I have owned all the versions of the iPhone (except 5) and I have had the problem on every one of them. On my/the first iPhone I returned it to apple and they replaced the phone, I got the impression it was a hardware fault, but now I don't think so anymore. I am sure I had it on my 3GS and now I have it on my iPhone 4. I have already fixed it once, just not sure what I did, made sure all the background apps were off, did a hard reset, anyway somehow got it back to normal, but then it happened again a week ago when I was 2 weeks into an OS holiday (I run a business and always keep in touch via email), it is very inconvenient to say thd least, makes you realize how much you depend on the thing. Anyway, version 5 of the OS came out so I thought great, I'll just upgrade the phone and all will be well! That did not go smoothly either, another bug came up, the "take forever to backup the phone, like 8 hours and still backing up" so I waited till I got back home and turned off the backup/restore photos option and got it upgraded ok, but battery discharge problem not fixed at all. (I read on another forum to put it in airplane mode between uses, that works, but not the sort of thing that the late SJ would have been happy with). So version 5 has some nice features but the phone is almost useless, if I go out for the day I will only have it for the first half of the day.
My thinking is that there should be some kind of app that lets you monitor power usage and which app is using the power. I also think the iPhone operating system should be immune to this kind of problem, sure bursts of 3G activity might be quite intense for minutes at a time but a battery load that persists and leads to a very short life should not be possible or if it happens should be alarmed.
I read somewhere that Apple knows about "the problem" and is working on a fix, but unfortunately I don't believe it. The problem has cropped up on every OS since the first and now I have it on OS5. I just don't think that Apple really know about it, or if they do, they must not care. I am not happy just to pay my $200 and have the phone replaced, I want to understand it do I don't have to have the problem surface again at some inconvenient time in the future. If I thought I could get Apple to and analyse my problem properly I would happily send them my phone! I said I was frustrated, that accounts for the tone of my post.

I guess I was lucky because I've had no issues with my battery. I can get a full 7hrs without charging. As a matter of fact, this phone IMO has the best out of all the phones I've had. It even beats my candybar Nokia and I never thought that was possible.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Last edited:
GoldenBlaze said:
I guess I was lucky because I've had no issues with my battery. I can get a full 7hrs without charging. As a matter of fact, this phone IMO has the best out of all the phones I've had. It even beats my candybar Nokia and I never thought that was possible.

Wow, 7 hours, should be at least 24. If you were in a very poor coverage area that might account for it. What do you use your phone for which chews the battery so fast?

I moved from a Nokia N8 to an iPhone 4S when it was released.

With my nokia I unplugged it from the charger first thing each morning, used it extensively all day, with 6GB data plan, Ovi maps, voice calls, it got a LOT OF USE! Last thing at night I plugged it back in to be ready in the morning. I NEVER gave a thought to whether the battery would last all day. Just a couple of times when using Ovi Maps and GPS would I have to top it up during the day.

But with the iPhone 4S I have to be continually aware of how it's draining! I now carry a small battery recharger with me every day.

On the other hand, my new iPad 2 always, apart from using it plugged in when using TomTom or Navigon GPS, always gives me a full day of quite heavy use.

In one single word, the battery of the iPhone 4S is: "unacceptable".

iburrell said:
Wow, 7 hours, should be at least 24. If you were in a very poor coverage area that might account for it. What do you use your phone for which chews the battery so fast?

The 7hrs was with all my push notifications and heavy usage. When I had the Evo I was lucky to get 3hrs.

I got my 4s yesterday. Played on it for 6 hrs and was down to 50% battery on wifi.
Unplugged this morning at 8:00am and used it at work like I did my 3GS and now at 10:20 I still have 40% battery left. So far I guess I'm still getting same life as my 3GS but wow is it soooooo much faster.

Oh I forgot I was also listening to my music on my phone along with the heavy usage.

Last edited:
bug in the location services for the "setting time zone" system services in location services, if you turn that off it should make a drastic improvement on battery life, trying it out today we will see

Fixed my battery problem!
Went from discharging in 5 hours to 24+ hours same usage, mainly email, phone & messages.
I isolated the problem down to email updates. I am running email from an MS exchanger server 2003. I turned off all data, WiFi and Cellular Data and battery life improved immediately. Then I watched email on the inbox page and noticed the 'checking for mail' message with revolving icon was on almost continuously. Next step, we deleted the mail account, restarted the phone and set the account up again, after that, we only see the 'checking for mail' message occasionally and battery life is returned to normal.
This certainly seems like a bug to me that I wonder if Apple knows about, it frustrates me that it's not possible to talk to Apple directly about such issues, if there is a way, let me know.
I am running iOS5, I have all the cloud stuff turned off at present as part of my battery investigation, will turn it on and let you know if battery life is still OK.