What's new

iPhone 4 AT&T Unlocking, Help Needed

zack_myers234

Reaction score
My friend just gave me an iPhone 4 as an early Christmas present. However, he's destroyed the SIM card for whatever reason I don't know, but anyways, the phone is an AT&T phone, and I all I want is to get past the activation screen. I don't want phone service, because I can just use a VoiP/texting app like Talkatone to call and text friends. I don't even mind that I'd have to be connected Wi-Fi in order to to this.

So here's a summary:

~My Situation~
-Friend gave me his old AT&T iPhone 4
-Phone doesn't have a SIM card
-It's stuck at the activation screen and cannot progress further without a valid SIM card

~What I Want Done~
-To get past the activation screen without having to get hooked up to a phone plan
-The ability to access the app store and such
-The ability to use apps that I've already purchased with my iTunes account
-The ability to use the iPhone's natural functions, like Siri, music, videos and taking pictures/recording videos
-I don't want phone service that I have to pay for, let alone phone service to begin with, I have VoiP apps I can use

I don't mind if I have to jailbreak the hell out of it to get it to work, I just want the ability to use this phone.

My friend just gave me an iPhone 4 as an early Christmas present. However, he's destroyed the SIM card for whatever reason I don't know, but anyways, the phone is an AT&T phone, and I all I want is to get past the activation screen. I don't want phone service, because I can just use a VoiP/texting app like Talkatone to call and text friends. I don't even mind that I'd have to be connected Wi-Fi in order to to this.

So here's a summary:

~My Situation~
-Friend gave me his old AT&T iPhone 4
-Phone doesn't have a SIM card
-It's stuck at the activation screen and cannot progress further without a valid SIM card

~What I Want Done~
-To get past the activation screen without having to get hooked up to a phone plan
-The ability to access the app store and such
-The ability to use apps that I've already purchased with my iTunes account
-The ability to use the iPhone's natural functions, like Siri, music, videos and taking pictures/recording videos
-I don't want phone service that I have to pay for, let alone phone service to begin with, I have VoiP apps I can use

I don't mind if I have to jailbreak the hell out of it to get it to work, I just want the ability to use this phone.

You won't be able to get past the activation screen without a SIM card. Any valid SIM card will work, even a Pre-paid one. Since the phone is probably locked to AT&T, you should get an AT&T one. Get the cheapest one you can find. When it runs out, your phone will still work on WiFi.

It should work. This card wouldn't have a fixed number of minutes, that would be arranged during activation. You can choose the cheapest Pre-paid option available. After it expires, your phone should still work on WiFi.

Alrighty then, I'll order the card now, hope it works on arrival. Is the activation all done via the iPhone or do I have to like do it online or something? And are the minutes depleted only when I call and text or do they also deplete when I browse the web and such?

Alrighty then, I'll order the card now, hope it works on arrival. Is the activation all done via the iPhone or do I have to like do it online or something? And are the minutes depleted only when I call and text or do they also deplete when I browse the web and such?

Activation can be done through the phone itself or by going to the closest AT&T store. Prepaid minutes are used only while using the cellular network to make phone calls or accessing the Internet. Using your phone on WiFi will not use up your prepaid minutes.
This Apple Support thread should help. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3700393?start=0&tstart=0
According to this, the SIM card does not have to be activated, only present in the SIM card tray. If you want to save the cost of buying the SIM card, ask AT&T if you can have an inactivated SIM card.

So you're telling me that I can just place the SIM card into the tray, close it, then go through the activation screen of the iPhone, then I'll be good to go from there?

According to the thread I linked to, you can.

Well, I've already placed an order, it was only $3.39, not too much. I don't know of the nearest AT&T place so this'll do fine for me. All I can do now is hope for the best.

I only found that link after posting my previous answers. The SIM card you ordered should work just fine for what you need.

I only found that link after posting my previous answers. The SIM card you ordered should work just fine for what you need.

Regardless, thank you for your help. I'll post results of what happened once it comes in the mail next week.

Why you don't simply factory unlock your iPhone in the same price you paid for new sim? and use it with freedom with any network. :)

Well, I've already placed an order, it was only $3.39, not too much. I don't know of the nearest AT&T place so this'll do fine for me. All I can do now is hope for the best.

You could ve factory unlocked your phone in same price, freedom comes after that, use any sim, anywhere. :)