What's new

Iphone 4 4.2.1 Recovery mode

Help1166

Reaction score
Hi my iphone 4 was working fine and i guess my jailbreak went wrong of course and now it is in the recovery mode and I cant power it off. It doesn't come up with the option to slide to power off. just the usb arrow pointing to itunes. Does anyone know how to get out of the recovery mode Iphone 4 4.2.1 ??

Download TinyUmbrella (Google it) and just hit the : Exit Recovery button. If the problem persists after using TinyUmbrella, then you ruined your firmware and you have nothing to do except restoring your iPhone. PS : You can restore it to a custom/cooked firmware made with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool. Good luck.

Download TinyUmbrella (Google it) and just hit the : Exit Recovery button. If the problem persists after using TinyUmbrella, then you ruined your firmware and you have nothing to do except restoring your iPhone. PS : You can restore it to a custom/cooked firmware made with sn0wbreeze or PwnageTool. Good luck.

I couldn't suggest better than this. And I will add 1 little point; while using tinyUmbrella, remember to save your iOS shsh otherwise iTunes will not allow a lower custom firmware version to be install on the phone since you will need iTunes however to restore the firmware.

Thank you guys, Ill let you know if anything changes =]

Okay guys i tried the tiny Umbrella no luck went back to recovery mode. But im going to try the Sn0wbreeze and create the IPSW. One more thing if i try to restore it with that what happens if i get an error like 1304 or 3914 did i do something wrong?

Okay guys i tried the tiny Umbrella no luck went back to recovery mode. But im going to try the Sn0wbreeze and create the IPSW. One more thing if i try to restore it with that what happens if i get an error like 1304 or 3914 did i do something wrong?

I'm not sure if it's possible to save shsh of an iPhone while it's in recovery mode. But you should try it out anyway see if you can save the shsh, if that doesn't work and you can't save your iOS 4.2.1 shsh, then whatever you think you are doing with snowbreeze are useless as when you arrive to iTunes it will return you so many errors, those errors means that you need to get the latest iOS which is 4.3.3 install into the device instead of 4.2.1

okay heres an update. i had itunes open and i did shift+restore and i picked the Sn0wbreeze custom firmware first time that it has ever worked. I saw the sn0wflake and ran through the progress bar and then it went back to DFU mode... this is pretty confusing and tricky.

okay heres an update. i had itunes open and i did shift+restore and i picked the Sn0wbreeze custom firmware first time that it has ever worked. I saw the sn0wflake and ran through the progress bar and then it went back to DFU mode... this is pretty confusing and tricky.

It stuck in the DFU mode?

lol yeah now it is, and i can put it in sn0wbreeze and that flake will come up and run fine then it will reboot into DFU =[[

lol yeah now it is, and i can put it in sn0wbreeze and that flake will come up and run fine then it will reboot into DFU =[[

Ok, then something wrong with the jailbreak, or with the ipsw, or with the iTunes.
Latest version of iTunes? Yes
Latex version of snowbreeze? Yes
What is the version of ipsw you are jailbreaking??? It should be 4.3.3
Run compatiblity mode for snowbreeze before cook the ipsw? Yes
If all correct, I don't see why it will hang in DFU mode.

okay i found a fix but there is a downfall. i did the sn0wbreeze to reinstall every tried to load but went back into dfu mode. so i used redsn00w to get it out and installed cydia. The screen showed the installing jailbreak ram (looks like a HDD) then i picked just enter tethered mode. After that the pineapple came up and everything went fine. i have done this three times last night and it works... but when i turn it off or leave it in sleep mode for awhile the screen will turn black and it will kick back into dfu mode. So now i need to figure out how i can get it back to normal to the point i can power off and it will turn right back on (same goes for sleep mode).

Thanks guys for the help

itunes is on windows 10.3

ipsw 3,1 4.2.1

sn0wbreeze 2.2.1 ( i have sn0wbreeze 2.7.3 but when i drop the ipsw 4.2.1 it will come up with not valid. but when i drop 4.3.3 it works) why cant they make a sn0wbreeze for every firmware??? doesnt make sense to me yet.

Last edited:
Instead of selecting tether, you should select untether, actually with redsnow, there is no option there to tick untether, what you do is to leave the "tether" check box uncheck and then jailbreak. After that you will be able to reboot your device without issue.
As for the ipsw 4.3.3 it's not a matter with snobreeze but with iTunes.