What's new

iPhone 3GS re-jailbreak issue - so many problems encountered.

yttap

Reaction score
Hi!

I just need some help re-jailbreaking and re-unlocking my brother's iPhone 3GS. He said the reception was bad and wanted me to restore and re-break it. Last I jailbroke an iPhone was mine in 2010 and since then, it's only now I've tried again so I'm pretty there's a whole lot of difference in the process/requirements.

What I did first was to try and restore it through iTunes but while I was downloading it, it gave me the error "We're sorry. we're unable to continue with your activation this time." So what I did was to skip that part and went to check f0recast if I can jailbreak the thing. Here's what I got:
$f0recast.jpg
So I proceeded to get redsn0w (I've used it before on my iPhone 3G) and got the latest version. I followed the Jailbreak procedure and it was ok. Did nothing to the phone because I realized I didn't download the IPSW needed. I clicked on the "Show all available..." in the f0recast and led me here iPhone 3G Information and I downloaded the latest IPSW (6.1.3) (there were 2 IPSWs with Check) with the Check. The Check means Apple Signing Status.

So I proceeded to follow this tutorial
and it's failing me. I downloaded the 2nd IPSW (4.1) with the Check and I haven't tried it yet.

Everytime I enter DFU mode and redsn0w settles on Waiting for Reboot, it's taken too long. I almost got done watching a movie and it's still stuck there. I tried unplugging the USB cord on the phone and re-doing the whole process in redsn0w. Still no luck.

I've never encountered this problem before as I've only jailbroken my iPhone and was successful on my first try.

Still getting the Waiting for Reboot and everytime I unplug and replug the iPhone, iTunes starts up and I'm still getting the "We're sorry..." issue.

PS: I can't access the model/year on the iPhone settings since it's stuck to the Select Language > Location > Wifi > Activation part. I tried to delete the Setup folder but I can't access the root (therefore the Setup folder) on iExplorer and even DiskAid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perform a fresh restore to iOS 4.2.1 (the latest and last iOS for the 3G) using RedSn0w. Make sure you preserve the iPad basband already on the device whilst restoring using RedSn0w > Extras > Even More > Restore. Then rejailbreak the device. Make sure the iOS IPSW's header is iPhone2,1_4.2.1

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Perform a fresh restore to iOS 4.2.1 (the latest and last iOS for the 3G) using RedSn0w. Make sure you preserve the iPad basband already on the device whilst restoring using RedSn0w > Extras > Even More > Restore. Then rejailbreak the device. Make sure the iOS IPSW's header is iPhone2,1_4.2.1

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

Hi! Sorry about the late reply. I only just got around to trying your method this weekend.

Here's what I did:

I downloaded RedSn0w, IPSW iPhone2,1_4.2.1 and tried to do the restore you're referring to. Um, thing is, I tried it like 4x but I'm getting exploit failed. I dowloaded SemiRestore but I'm getting an error saying I'm missing a DLL file on my PC so yeah. Any work around to the exploit?

And I haven't flashed anything to iOS 6 or something. Thanks a bunch!

If you're getting exploit failed, you're not in DFU mode or you're not using the correct IPSW/format. Semirestore does not work for anything below iOS 5 and anything above 6.1.2.

If you're getting exploit failed, you're not in DFU mode or you're not using the correct IPSW/format. Semirestore does not work for anything below iOS 5 and anything above 6.1.2.

I guess it's the DFU mode since the buttons are slightly broken and stuff since I downloaded the IPSW stated/recommended in the previous post. I'll try again tonight. I'll post my progress afterwards whatever happens. Thanks so much :D

UPDATE: I used Sn0wbreeze instead and it worked perfectly - probably because this iPhone has been jailbroken using Sn0wbreeze before. Thing is, as I've inserted the sim card, it's taking too long to recognize the network. I inserted 2 different sims from different networks and I've been at it for a while. This is the reason why we had to jailbreak and unlock it again in the first place. Any reason why it's doing such? Or any work arounds regarding the issue? Thanks a lot :D