What's new

iphone 3 jailbreak

dunesguy

Reaction score
I just (yesterday) picked up a new iphone 4 from my friendly AT&T corporate store. My wife and adult children all have iphones, but I was reluctant to leave my comfort zone. I've had blackberrys and other smartphones, but this is my first iphone. In some wierd way, I think I was just unwilling to follow the crowd...felt like I was drinking the Apple koolaid, I guess. Anyway, I'm 65 years old, use computers at work and home, have an ipad (first version) and am fairly comfortable with most things electronic, and feel it would behoove me to learn from people with lots of expertise in the narrow field of iphones.

I do, however have a problem I would like to address:
My daughter was given my wife's iphone 3 to replace her previous phone, whatever the previous model was, and went to England for a year. While there, she took the phone to "some guy" with a "phone place" where the "guy" did a jailbreak on her phone and made it work in the UK's O2 system. Upon her return to the US, shetook the phone to another "phone guy" in New York, who explained to her how to reset the phone to US carrier settings, but he warned her not to use the then current (about 16 months ago) new upgrade. He warned her to be very careful about which version of the upgrade to avoid, telling her to use the new upgrade would lock up the phone and turn it into a paperweight with a camera in it. Of course, she did the wrong thing and brought the phone to me, whining for a new one, which, of course I provided (if it's true that we learn from our mistakes, she and I should be a lot smarter than I think we are!).

The obvious question is how do I get the phone back to functioning properly? I've saved all 709 (!) of her photos, and she doesn't care about any other personal data on the phone, so if a complete reset of the phone is necessary, then so be it. I'm just afraid to tackle the task without a bit of advice from some of the experts in this forum.

Thanks in advance for any/all help with this issue.

I look forward to using my new iphone 4 moreso than I have my ipad or most other electronic toys.

ebrahim_yusuf said:
You are not getting service?

Nope...everything else seemed to work...until I hooked it up to itunes and tried a restore. Now it just keeps trying to connect, but stops, saying there is no sim installed, although there is a new one in it.

Did it go threw the whole restore process? Is the sim from the phones original carrier? I would maybe attempt a jailbreak. download redsn0w. It should auto detect your phone. If not you will have to go to extra, select ipsw. so this means you will have to download you ipsw for your phone.

Last edited:
dunesguy said:
Nope...everything else seemed to work...until I hooked it up to itunes and tried a restore. Now it just keeps trying to connect, but stops, saying there is no sim installed, although there is a new one in it.

Owh!
So here's what you do..
Your phone is locked..
Go to settings>general>about and post here the number besides the label "modem firmware"..