What's new

ipad3 announced

And then - will these 'SIM' selling companies, like StraightTalk, be able to compete for iPad 3 biz?

Straight Talk sims work in 4G phones, albeit they run on 3G. I read a few posts over at Howard Forums, where someone mentioned they used a Straight Talk sim in an iPad, supposedly it worked fine.

Any news on iPhone 5 then. Release dates etc

Nope. Apple has always been one to keep secrets. They will have a separate Keynote for the iPhone 5 when ever they plan on releasing the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Any news on iPhone 5 then. Release dates etc
4 out of 5 years (since iPhone orig) new iPhone release was in June. This last release (4S) - October. First time ever a fall release for an iPhone.

So the 5 will be June or Sept/Oct. -Count on it.

The iPad release dates are the only ones that haven't been consistent.

Last edited:
Anyone seen anything about the specific radios on the iPad? The Verizon and many other LTE phones currently are using two chips for the radios, resulting in battery killers. I had heard Apple was intending on the single radio chip. Have they accomplished this? And if so, I'll bet $100 right now that you are looking at the processor and setup of the new iPhone.

jkhonea said:
Anyone seen anything about the specific radios on the iPad? The Verizon and many other LTE phones currently are using two chips for the radios, resulting in battery killers. I had heard Apple was intending on the single radio chip. Have they accomplished this? And if so, I'll bet $100 right now that you are looking at the processor and setup of the new iPhone.

I haven't seen any news on it yet. I figure we will when ifixit gets their new model and performs a tear down.
I imagine Apple wouldn't implement anything that was troublesome to the battery. If they would, then we would've seen 4G in last years model, or the iPhone 4S (IMHO). :D

I haven't seen any news on it yet. I figure we will when ifixit gets their new model and performs a tear down.
I imagine Apple wouldn't implement anything that was troublesome to the battery. If they would, then we would've seen 4G in last years model, or the iPhone 4S (IMHO). :D

I'm thinking the exact same thing, and remember hearing the dual radio chips were definitely the cause of the radio problems. So if 2+2 is truly equaling 4, I'd say we're looking at the new single chip with the A5X going in the iPhone 5 this fall. I'm still betting on the 4" screen on the new phone.

jkhonea said:
I'm thinking the exact same thing, and remember hearing the dual radio chips were definitely the cause of the radio problems. So if 2+2 is truly equaling 4, I'd say we're looking at the new single chip with the A5X going in the iPhone 5 this fall. I'm still betting on the 4" screen on the new phone.

I'm definitely believing the same thing! The only thing I'm slightly skeptical about is the screen size. I figure that'll be a 50/50 shot.

I'm hoping 4G LTE will be implemented in the next gen iPhone. I suppose we'll just have to see the size of the 4G chip Apple is using! :)

I'm definitely believing the same thing! The only thing I'm slightly skeptical about is the screen size. I figure that'll be a 50/50 shot.

I'm hoping 4G LTE will be implemented in the next gen iPhone. I suppose we'll just have to see the size of the 4G chip Apple is using! :)

They mentioned something with the iPad that makes me think the 4" will happen. If you recall, they mentioned it will automatically upscale the older apps to the newer resolution until apps are updated and as newer apps come out. If that is correct, than that would very well take care of the scaling issue on the iPhone 5 if it jumps in size so there wouldn't have to be an immediate re release of older apps. At least that is my speculation.

While I do like the size of the phone now, I wouldn't cry in the least if it went to 4". 4" and LTE will be a necessity to hold up against Android, I believe. I always found 4" on my old Inc 2 to be a perfect size. Not too big, not too small and still easily pocketable.

jkhonea said:
They mentioned something with the iPad that makes me think the 4" will happen. If you recall, they mentioned it will automatically upscale the older apps to the newer resolution until apps are updated and as newer apps come out. If that is correct, than that would very well take care of the scaling issue on the iPhone 5 if it jumps in size so there wouldn't have to be an immediate re release of older apps. At least that is my speculation.

While I do like the size of the phone now, I wouldn't cry in the least if it went to 4". 4" and LTE will be a necessity to hold up against Android, I believe. I always found 4" on my old Inc 2 to be a perfect size. Not too big, not too small and still easily pocketable.

That could very well be a possibility! Good thinking! I'd love to see a 4" screen personally. The A5X, a 4G LTE chip, and a 4" screen, is what I'm really hoping for in the next gen model.

Let's hope it happens! :D

That could very well be a possibility! Good thinking! I'd love to see a 4" screen personally. The A5X, a 4G LTE chip, and a 4" screen, is what I'm really hoping for in the next gen model. Let's hope it happens! :D
While I'm not too worried about the 4G LTE capability... the 4" screen & A5X processor will round out things quite nicely on top of the specs from the 4S.

Seeing how the iPad and iPhone seem to be linking up on hardware specs, I would just be very surprised to see otherwise.

jkhonea said:
Seeing how the iPad and iPhone seem to be linking up on hardware specs, I would just be very surprised to see otherwise.

Agreed!

Like the A4 and A5 processors. :)

It's going to be an exciting year for Apple fans. No doubt about that!

This new iPad has a much larger battery. 42.5-watt-hour vs a 25-watt-hour.