What's new

IOS 9

ardchoille

Reaction score
One of the things I just noticed with Safari, after updating to iOS 9, is that Safari now loads tons of third-party cookies and website data when I visit some of the FF forums. I found 24 entries in website cookies and data from iphoneforums alone. Below is a screenshot of the partial list.

image.png

I'm also seeing this behavior on some other websites. These data entries were never seen before the update (I keep a VERY close eye on this), and I have been using Safari as my default browser for years. I double-checked my cookie settings and they haven't changed.

I cleared cookies and data, loaded a website, checked data and they were there. I cleared everything and checked another website. Repeated this with several websites. Why is this mess of cookies and data being loaded? My cookie setting is set to 'Allow from sites I visit'. I feel this is a privacy issue that cannot be ignored.

And, when I remove all of those third-party cookies and data I find that my various websites logins disappear - which means that I have to log into some 40 websites again.

I think it's safe to say that someone at Apple made a boo boo with the Safari update.

I'm going to have to switch browsers until I find a fix for this.

UPDATE: Even using the cookie setting 'Allow from current website only' still loads 26 different cookies and data entries from third-party websites. Something is wrong here but I can't figure out why.

UPDATE 2: It appears that even the 'Always block' cookie setting makes no difference. I wonder if someone at Apple forgot to attach the UI to the code - you can change the setting (check mark) in the Settings app but it doesn't change the behavior (all cookies still load from all sites, including third-party). Amateur coding mistake?

UPDATE 3: I quit Safari, manually closed, set cookies to 'Always block', re-opened Safari to this page and my login was maintained from my last edit. It appears that the assumption in my last edit was spot on, someone forgot to hook the UI to the code.

Last edited:
Is anyone else seeing this in Safari?

I use the app tapatalk to keep track of my forums and assuming you meant 'final fantasy' did not see the extra info in the safari browser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the app tapatalk to keep track of my forums and assuming you meant 'final fantasy' did not see the extra info in the safari browser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used to use Tapatalk quite a bit.. until I found that it can sometimes display contradicting evidence:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What you see in Tapatalk can sometimes be much different than what you see in a web browser.

Well, I found a fix for this problem. I installed a couple content blockers from the App Store and those cookie and data entries have not returned. And, webpages load blazing fast now!

Of course, I have white listed all Forum Foundry websites so the ads are still displayed :)

Thank you, Apple, for allowing content blocking in iOS 9!

Does anyone have the News app? I don't have it and can't find it.

Its supposed to appear on your Home screen but it didn't on mine.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the News app? I don't have it and can't find it.

Its supposed to appear on your Home screen but it didn't on mine.
I believe it's U.S. only for now. Some people have had success by going to Settings>General>Language & Region and setting the region to United States. I tried it and the news app appeared in settings but not on the home screen.

I believe it's U.S. only for now. Some people have had success by going to Settings>General>Language & Region and setting the region to United States. I tried it and the news app appeared in settings but not on the home screen.
I wondered if that was it, I expect we will get it eventually.

Liking the new sketch feature in Notes.
I had to go back and take a look at the Notes app, I hadn't used it since the upgrade. Wowsers, nice upgrade for this app. Folders, sketches.. definitely an improvement.