What's new

iOS 8.3's iMessage on iPhone 4s

Cindy01

Reaction score
Since updated from iOS 7.1.2 i am unable to send SMS to people who have iMessage. While wifi and mobile data is off still iMessage keeps being blue. On iOS 7.1.2 it was enough to switch off internet connection to send SMS.
BUT this can also happen on iOS 8.3, only if i switch on "Send as SMS" option. What i dont like on this option is iMessage can turn to SMS automatically when there is time out. I have tried to soft reset, erase all settings and restore, set as also new iPhone and clean restore but nothing helped. So, is this an iOS 8.3 bug or something normal or only i have this error ? Any suggestion ?

Why do you want to send SMS to people with iMessage? What's wrong with iMessage? Not sure I understand your concerns. If you don't want to use iMessage, toggle it off!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

I'm at a loss to understand why you look at this as being a problem, As Ledsteplin said you can turn iMessage off but why would you want to? iMessages are free and are one of the big pluses of having an iPhone.

The biggest advantage of iMessage is that if you're on WiFi, it will send over WiFi and not use any of your monthly data allowance. Regular SMS messages don't do that.

Why do you want to send SMS to people with iMessage? What's wrong with iMessage? Not sure I understand your concerns. If you don't want to use iMessage, toggle it off!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

Because i dont have always WiFi. Plus if the opposite person is offline and there is an emergency, would like send SMS instead. And people who i know dont have iPhone all of them. Therefor i need to send sms to them.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss to understand why you look at this as being a problem, As Ledsteplin said you can turn iMessage off but why would you want to? iMessages are free and are one of the big pluses of having an iPhone.

There isnt any problem with having iMessages, and i like it. But Problem is iMesssage doesnt want me to send SMS at all, no matter if i switch off the internet connection. It was not like that on iOS 7.1.2 (i am also a bit regretful that i have updated my iPhone) I can force it to send sms by switching on "Send as SMS" function but if there is timeout, it turns automatically to sms.

There isnt any problem with having iMessages, and i like it. But Problem is iMesssage doesnt want me to send SMS at all, no matter if i switch off the internet connection. It was not like that on iOS 7.1.2 (i am also a bit regretful that i have updated my iPhone) I canHold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.
force it to send sms by switching on "Send as SMS" function but if there is timeout, it turns automatically to sms.
Have you tried a hard reset?
Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

If that doesn't work, try toggle off iMessage, then sign out of iMessage, then sign back in to iMessage. Then toggle iMessage back on.
If that doesn't work, restore your phone as new.

Have you tried a hard reset?
Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

If that doesn't work, try toggle off iMessage, then sign out of iMessage, then sign back in to iMessage. Then toggle iMessage back on.
If that doesn't work, restore your phone as new.

Yes i have tried them twice but didnt fix.