What's new

iOS 8.1 Brings Apple Pay to iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus on Monday

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
1123-1413483822-a3fe3b716a1c495fa5053cbae0d1460b.jpg

During a charismatic, worldwide-Twitter-trending, and very funny presentation at Apple’s iPad event in California today, Apple’s senior VP of software engineering, Craig Federighi, announced that iOS 8.1, complete with Apple Pay and Continuity, will be available from this coming Monday, October 20.

Earlier in the presentation, Apple CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple now has the support of 500 US banks, as well as retailers such as Starbucks, Macy’s, McDonald’s, Sephora, Staples, and Groupon.

Aside from the massive Apple Pay news, Federighi also revealed that Continuity compatibility will be coming to iOS with iOS 8.1. Basically, this means that you can send and receive text messages and phone calls from your Mac (provided it is running OS X Yosemite), as well as other features such as sharing Keynote slides.

Federighi also announced that the popular Camera Roll feature will be restored, after many people were upset that it was removed in iOS 8.

Finally, downloading iOS 8.1 will also grant you access to the public beta of iCloud Photo Library, where you can see your photos and videos in full resolution without downscaling.

Sources: iOS 8.1 is coming on Monday will bring Apple Pay and Continuity support

Apple Pay launches Monday with support from Starbucks Macy s and others

I'm really excited for the Continuity feature. I'll be able to look like I'm working while texting! Its the perfect ruse!

Not really sure that I care about the Camera Roll issue though. Its not really going to impact my life.

Camera Roll was fine, although I was making do without it. What always bothered me about it was that when you create new albums to put photos into they don't really get moved there - the originals stay in the Camera Roll. Kind of pointless to me to organize something and then have them in two places. Oh well.

As I understand it, the photos are really in one place, but when you create an Album photos from the camera roll are link there, so it is merely a sub-level of organizing, so you can find related photos quicker. It's not taking up additional storage space. Again, that is my understanding. :)