What's new

IOS 5.1 baseband is (9b176)

jockmcd

Reaction score
Can this be jailbroken (untethered) or can it be downgraded to have an untethered jailbreak if so what IOS does it need to be downgraded to and what baseband etc.
Im buying the phone for my lads 16 th birthday, thx

So you mean that you haven't bought the iPhone yet, how do you know the baseband of the iPhone if you do not have it in hand yet? The description you gave to be baseband is not a baseband however, that's the an iOS 5.1 version number. Anyway you will not be able to untether jailbreak your iPhone if it comes with iOS 5.1 at this time, specially if it's an iPhone 4S you are going to buy, but if you buy an iPhone 4 which comes with iOS 5.1 you will be able to tether jailbreak it right away, then you will untether jailbreak it later when an untether will be made available, unless your new iPhone 4 or 4S comes with iOS 5.0.1 then you will be able to untether jailbreak it.
To jailbreak your iPhone you do not need to care about baseband but about the iOS version. You will care about the baseband if your iPhone is a factory locked one and you are looking forward to unlock it.
When is your BD BTW, happy birth day to you :)

Dont have the phone yet but the person texted me the details as i asked for them , its an Iphone 4, can it be downgraded to 5.0.1 ?

Was it jailbreaked before upgrading it iOS 5.1? either answer you give, you will still have hard time downgrading it specially if there were no iOS 5.0.1 shsh saved back to the time when iOS 5.0.1 was running on the iPhone. iPhone 4, you will be abel to tether jailbreak it anyway with the latest iOS 5.1

Think i will forget the downgrading then. When will untethered be realesed any ideas ?

no ETA for this kind of things until they actually go out for the public.

But it will be done at some point ?
Haven't heard any news from any of the top Devs. iOS 5.1 patched the Corona and Absinthe exploits... and those took a bit to come out after 5.0 & 5.0.1 were released. So, who knows how long it'll be... if ever for 5.1.

If there is a tethered jailbreak is it not inevitable there will be an untethered then :-(

If there is a tethered jailbreak is it not inevitable there will be an untethered then :-(
Not necessarily. The Tethered JB only exists on pre-A5 iDevices. So, the 3GS & 4 are the only ones that fall in this category. The Tethered JB will always exist on those due to the limera1n exploit that's found in the hardware of the device itself.

So if i buy this iphone4 for my son what is my best option to jailbreak or only option at the moment , the tethered jailbreak ? If so could someone link me to the exact instructuons and download file that i would need and i can see what exactly i'd have to do ? If an untethered jailbreak came out after this can i simply just add it or would i need to restore or something similar ?

Looks like iphone4 on 5.1 will be cracked soon , now thats some timing .