What's new

iOS 12

Well it turns my girlfriend didn't get an iPhone 7 something it is an 8plus and my present for being so nice is 6plus which will not restore as new.
iOS 12 and my PC getting to me.
Iā€™m sorry to hear that, BrixtonBoy. Iā€™m sure something will work out for you, though.

I finally managed to get IOS12 downloaded and installed on my 5s with the help of J.A. and SciFan57 but after re-installing all the apps I had to offload Iā€™m now running short on storage. I guess itā€™s time to move some stuff to the cloud. Thatā€™ll be a whole new arena for me. Iā€™ve been avoiding it until now.

Hereā€™s another oddity with IOS 12 - when typing a text in landscape mode, once youā€™ve addressed it and begin typing, the keyboard covers up the message youā€™re typing. All I can see is the addressee.

If I then rotate to portrait mode I can see the message Iā€™m typing. Itā€™s inconvenient to me that way but rotating back to landscape mode covers the message again. This is very annoying.

Can you scroll up to see what youā€™re typing?
Nope. Tried it a number of times but it wonā€™t scroll up. Oddly, though, once I receive a response I can rotate to landscape mode and it works.

As they say, ā€˜go figureā€™....

They should have dropped support for iPhone 5 a long time ago. I mean that thing was release 6 years ago! It's older than both my children.. sheesh.... Any electronic that last me longer than 3 years is a miracle. If it makes it to year 5, it's even more of a stretch.

I'm surprised Apple even chose to support it anymore. Damn, that thing is ancient.

They should have dropped support for iPhone 5 a long time ago. I mean that thing was release 6 years ago! It's older than both my children.. sheesh.... Any electronic that last me longer than 3 years is a miracle. If it makes it to year 5, it's even more of a stretch.

I'm surprised Apple even chose to support it anymore. Damn, that thing is ancient.
Thanks for your input, Junior. My phone isnā€™t near as ancient as I am but it still works just fine and serves my needs. Itā€™s just a little short on memory.

Have a great day......

They did. iOS 10.3.3 is the latest version that will run on the iPhone 5, with limited functionality.

They did. iOS 10.3.3 is the latest version that will run on the iPhone 5, with limited functionality.
Hmmm. Well, my iPhone 5s seems to be running just fine with IOS 12 on it, albeit as I said, itā€™s a tad bit short on memory. Iā€™ll have to manage the storage more closely but my philosophy is ā€˜if it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€™.

Hmmm. Well, my iPhone 5s seems to be running just fine with IOS 12 on it, albeit as I said, itā€™s a tad bit short on memory. Iā€™ll have to manage the storage more closely but my philosophy is ā€˜if it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix itā€™.
Barring a hardware fault, itā€™ll likely last until the battery will no longer hold a charge.

Some further info since my last post here about updating to iOS12. Siri has been spotty at best. Two more times Iā€™ve had to turn off Siri then reset network settings and turn Siri back on to get it working again. Iā€™ve done a hard reset but it hasnā€™t helped. I havenā€™t seen where others are experiencing this same issue so Iā€™m guessing maybe itā€™s time to restore my iPhone 7 as new and set it back up manually rather than from a backup.

Update:
Since the post above I have updated iOS to 12.1 and suddenly, all seems right with Siri again. Go figure, right?!?!

Last edited: